[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Cant play DD on my laptop

Cant play DD on my laptop

All things Desktop Dungeons

Cant play DD on my laptop

Postby Galefury on Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:20 pm

DD seems to be too much to handle for my old laptop (500 MB shared RAM, 1.8 GHz single core). As soon as I reach the login screen my browser hangs up and my whole system gets majorly slowed. The only way out of this is to close my browser. It's really quite silly how the login screen with two lines to enter stuff into and one button does that. Even on my desktop pc firefox gets a bit wonky when DD finishes loading. No trouble at all with the game proper though. I just cant get there on my laptop.

Any tentative system requirements? Any chance something is wrong with the login screen?
Galefury

Re: Cant play DD on my laptop

Postby pakoito on Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:17 am

Unity reqs are higher than your PC's specs. My 1.2 Celeron, 3GB Ram, Intel 4500 can barely play it with major slowdowns in the whole OS.
pakoito

Postby Galefury on Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:10 am

During preloading the plugin eats something between 30% and 60% of my cpu time, which is absolutely ridiculous for a program that just downloads data over a fairly slow internet connection. When loading finishes used memory starts going up, pushing other programs and services into using virtual memory. Hence the system slowdown. When the plugin doesn't fit into physical memory anymore all hope of ever finishing loading or logging into the game proper is lost. I guess I'll look at the RAM requirements of the actual game when I get back to my desktop pc. I cant imagine this is just due to unity. Some overhead is to be expected from a high level system like that, but this much, for a 2d game? Ridiculous. How could this ever run on a phone with that kind of RAM requirement? There have to be some implementation problems.
Galefury

Postby 232 on Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:51 am

Postby pakoito on Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:45 pm

It's a browser plugin of a 3D GPU-powered engine, running a game that's roughly a beta still.
pakoito

Postby Galefury on Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:56 pm

On my desktop DD only needs about 160MB of memory. Still a lot, but not as silly as what happened on my laptop. It probably has to do with the onboard graphics and shared memory. Still annoying though.
Galefury

Postby FDru on Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:35 pm

Unity destroys my PC if I try to run anything else with it. I accidentally clicked my DD link when I had World of Warcraft tabbed and Unity crashed, my browser crashed and WoW locked up for a good 10 minutes before I finally managed to force it closed with task manager (which didn't actually appear visible, I just had to guess at what I was doing with tab/spacebar). It might be a memory thing, since I only have 2 gigs of RAM, but it's a bit troubling since no other programs cause that kind of havoc with my PC and I was under the impression that Unity was lightweight to begin with (I mean my computer is fine tuned for gaming, there's absolutely no unnecessary processes or services running and it's even a fresh install of Win XP Pro).

On the bright side, everything seems to be fine once the game is actually loaded up. On the downside, that means these issues are probably inherent with the game engine.
FDru

Postby dislekcia on Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:54 pm

Textures are big. Detailed portraits are big. Capy produces 2D games and the biggest thing they want is more RAM in upcoming consoles to handle their texture needs...

That said, we'd like this to run on as low a system spec as possible - I'm assuming the browser plugin is non-optimal - and we haven't done ANY optimisation yet. You really don't want to waste time with that until late in the game's dev cycle.
dislekcia

Return to Desktop Dungeons