[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Some feedback from fairly noobish player

Some feedback from fairly noobish player

All things Desktop Dungeons

Some feedback from fairly noobish player

Postby Leotamer on Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:04 am

First off, I really like this game from alpha to beta, and like where yall are going, a bit of a mix between rogue like horror, and an enjoyable past-time. Well, her is where I start some complaining, just remember I will like the game anyways, but these are some of my thoughts.

The paladin has lost some of his charm : This is due to two what at first seems like a simple change. Holy work ( Healed for
killing undead) was changed so that you can't be punished by Gods, boons cost less, but you can't change religions. The Paladin was my favorite class, but I can no long seem to in it to play him. Here is the 2 reasons I find this bad:
1- A paladins worst foe in my opinion is Wraiths, as mana burn can ruin a Paladin, which the old holy work you was atleast healed by them.
2- The fact that while it seems like he could work really good with Ironsheild and Taurog( Not good with Binlor, but the later is my favortive of the gods) But Helpmeh something that he needs to kill higher level monsters isn't as good when you need to keep destorying walls for Binlor, and have low with Taurog.

Be careful the number of maps that require you to be hybrid: Ok, fine have your rock garden (It makes sense their), but it gets to point somethings are plain unusable

Lastly, I would like to a new class that works like old Transmuter, the new one isn't bad, but the old one was my second favorite class.

Also, do remember, that this are just some of my thoughts. I do not claim to be good, but I do claim the game is.
Leotamer

Re: Some feedback from fairly noobish player

Postby Darvin on Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:38 am

Darvin

Postby Nandrew on Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:29 am

What Darvin said about the Transmuter: right now, we seem to have something that's reasonably worky and rewardsome and tweaking that out will be dangerous, unfortunately. :( The amount of time we have to go back and rework these bonus characters again is regrettably low.

The Paladin's new religion trait is slightly awkward in some respects, but on the flipside we really like the avenues that it has opened for different playstyles and I think he's still considered a pretty strong character overall (especially after HALPMEH was rebuffed slightly).

It's cool stuff to consider, though. Not often enough that we get the "fairly noobish player" views directly, particularly if there's a concern that too many maps are hybrid-dependent. :)
Nandrew

Postby gjaustin on Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:35 pm

gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:48 pm

Pactmaker and Taurog are BFF's...
Darvin

Postby Nandrew on Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:37 pm

They used to be one god, called Pacrog.

Then they collided with another god called Taumaker.

Now they are two different gods.
Nandrew

Postby Fran on Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:26 pm

What about packmaster?
We haven't heard from him a while now...
Fran

Postby Leotamer on Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:24 am

Ok, let me go back a little and let me explain myself a bit more on the paladin. In the alpha, my best trees was Warrior and Priest, so it was only natural that I liked the Paladin a lot. He was a good because while he didn't do as much damage as the warrior tree, he excel in places they did. A big part of this was his two heals, allowing you a good balance of regen though dungeon, from undead, and Helpmeh. But, not many gds support this old playstyle.

EM and JJ are decent for this, but have gimmicks make them sutitonal. Dracul and Taurog drain health and mana, to things that the "tank paladin" needs. Tikki hates for you to be hit, that doesn't work so well resist stacking. That leaves Binlor, GG, and Annur. Annur being mostly for mages, and GG is someone you would already get.

Also, finally completed Rock Garden with a Warlord. But I don't think I am going to get my Witch upgraded anytime soon.

Edit- And now that I think about it, the new holy works would work better with Crusader, as he works with must of the gd.
Leotamer

Postby Darvin on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:08 am

Darvin

Postby Leotamer on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:55 am

Well, I guess I just got to say good bye to my Immortal Elven Paladin. But I guess when start playing lots of the warrior tree, and rogue tree in beta, and alpha paladin. I will try to play some more Paladin.

Also, just food for thought, about the old transmuter, am not sure how possible this would be( I don't code), but maybe a whole dungeon would be X ammount of health, and each brick would a peice of that. One last thing, could you explain why he has Lemmisa? I normally convert on sight if I see it or use it once or twice and then convert it when I find it normal.

EDIT- Really, try Elven Paladin in aphla, while not immortal, if you get going, you can crush almost anything. But, I wouldn't say it would be any worst then the warlord or berserker.
Leotamer

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons