[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Is assassin the worst class in the game now?

Is assassin the worst class in the game now?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Is assassin the worst class in the game now?

Postby Lujo on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:08 pm

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Sidestepper on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:10 pm

Speaking of which, has anyone tried to take the King of Ding approach to its logical extreme? Goblin Fighters of Earthmother, the next big thing or just a novelty?
Sidestepper

Postby Lujo on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:12 pm

Last edited by Lujo on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:15 pm

Oh my... An elven fighter could easily be an INCREDIBLE mana spiker.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:17 pm

Last edited by Lujo on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lujo

Postby Sidestepper on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:17 pm

Oh my God, Goblin Fighter of Earthmother uses IMAWAL to power-level, uses Entanglement once to mass slow the board, and then invokes Plantation to hit 100 piety and convert to Tikki Tooki. With the conversion piety and an Earthmother desecration, you could afford TWO Tikki's Edge right off the bat, without having killed ANY popcorn.

I wish we could make custom maps to test combos like this. I really want to try this, but you can only prep one altar and scumming is such a pain in the ass.
Sidestepper

Postby Darvin on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:19 pm

Darvin

Postby Lujo on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:22 pm

Just to clarify the enlightment thing, it only works silly now becuase Absolution kills of high lvl guys leaving you popcorn, but otherwise you get 5 mp and a bunch of CP off Enlightment which means more MP, and youre converting stuff for GG which means more MP, and you get the picture. With all the dings, swapping out shouldn't be too hard.

EDIT:

@Darvin:

How'd the king of ding do? Where'd you try it?

And another thing about the Potion Jesus - I didn't really mind the old skillset the way it was (althouhg it is really fundamentally op when you look at it, sort of depending on other potion enablers / combos), but what really irked me about it was the fact that it was on a tier1 class, so it was available from the get go. It's a kingdom progression thing, what really bugged me was people getting used to that kind of power and effortless synergy and getting to think of it as baseline (there was a time when it was thought as "mid-tier" or "perfectly balanced", which it most deffinitely wasn't). It's a great and fun thing, but if noticably good then it's too powerfull to be everyone's default class.

I wouldn't mind having a potion jesus in the game, only not as a first tier class. Shame we're done with reworks, because reworking the thief somehow and working one of the higher tier classes into something like the old thief - I really wouldn't mind. Or simply adding something like a Witch as a 4th unlockable class. I'd say rework gorgon into it but then we'd lose the racial cp for potions gimmick, which is an integral part of the approach.
Lujo

Postby TigerKnee on Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:09 am

I always thought thieves were powerful but fine before the nerf, which I accepted because because it made Gnome and Halfling thieves different.

Sure they have potions and one more of each booster, but Stabber isn't really a very interesting class feature once Strength potion got nerfed. Even in the old days when the classes and balance was very close to alpha level, there was still like 5 classes better than them.

Higher tier classes aren't supposed to be inherently stronger than lower tier ones. It's supposed to be like

T1: Ryu from Street Fighter (easy to learn, but still strong. Ryu sees decent use in competitive play)

NOT Dan from SF (Joke character only use to troll).

while T3 is something like Dhalsim: Most players can't use him to full potential but at competitive level at optimal play, he's technically stronger than Ryu. Not so much that everyone rushes to him but wanting to play Ryu is a valid playstyle choice.

And that's my view on it. Higher tiers = more complex in return for more power, but NEVER to the point where you go "Well, now I will never need to use Ryu/Fighter"
TigerKnee

Postby Darvin on Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:55 am

Darvin

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons