[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Vicious Dungeon Strategies

Vicious Dungeon Strategies

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Vicious Dungeon Strategies

Postby JaggerMcDagger on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:10 pm

No alchemist 3?! But that mean's I'll always have number 2, just sitting there!
JaggerMcDagger

Postby Lujo on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:13 pm

Love the can reference, very much in spirit of things ^^

And the discrepancy between the regular game and the VICIOUS content has been brought up before, and I've been on the "regular skill progression doesn't prepare you for most VICIOUS in the least bit" part of the field. I've always had trouble with Vicious, as they require reductive gameplay, at least the way they were envisioned. It's more about learining what you don't need to use than how to use everything at your disposal. However...

...making a habit out of playing vicious Gaan'Telet a with its random floor distribution it's sort of a game within a game standalone roguelike thingy. I think it might even be easier to just see how far you can go over and over and over than make the logic leaps required to transition from HARD to non-endurance run Vicious. But that's only me.

I haven't been to Naga City for ages, but whatever worked in Vicious Gaan'Telet ussually worked well there, I remember enjoying it quite a bit.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby gjaustin on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:24 pm

Naga City is sooo much easier now. Too much easier IMO.

You get four monsters (worth 19 exp I think) each wave! And there's shops in there that sell both Kegs and an Amulet of Yendor!
gjaustin

Postby The Avatar on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:50 pm

You also get no above ground altars and you have to buy below ground ones...
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:55 pm

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby gjaustin on Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:03 am

gjaustin

Postby JaggerMcDagger on Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:23 pm

So I beat dragon land with a berserker, but not really sure what other characters would be doable without insane luck. I'm assuming that it is out of the reach of mortals to beat vicious dungeons with every character, so what ones should I try next?
I feel like kind of a noob for asking, but what are some of the good characters for both naga city and namtor?
JaggerMcDagger

Postby The Avatar on Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:29 pm

Then I am no mortal.

http://www.qcfdesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2158&start=60#p15271

Naga City requires a balanced character. Resist staking monks and Paladin's are great, HALPMEH is an incredible glyph. You almost NEED poison to win. It's incredibly useful.

Namtar is best slain by a Warlord. I tend to whupaz form 2 and fireball form 3. If you've ever reached the underworld, before you enter get 6 or so exp from leveling. There are imps in there you can use to level, like the monsters in Naga City arena.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Roonespism on Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:29 pm

Roonespism

Postby Fran on Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:32 pm

But to be fair avatar, you did some of them during some versions of the game were specific strats were a lot more powerful than now. You're still one hell of a pro, but certain things are harder now than they used to be.
Don't make the poor guy feel like a noob when there is no need to.

I'd suggest getting used to the sorcerer and trying some Vicious Halls of Steel runs. If you can clear that dungeon with 3 different classes, you get access to the vampire, which has an easier time in most vicious dungeons, especially Naga City. This in turn helps you to get a feeling about how the dungeons work so that you can think about things that could work there. It also has the bonus that you can playtest things in Hard Halls of Steel, which should help you improve your gaming with some moments of success inbetween.
Fran

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons