[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Chaos Theory

Chaos Theory

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Chaos Theory

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:27 am

Hmm... That could work. Still, I don't like having gimmick bosses who's main strength is counteracted by paying 10 gold.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Nandrew on Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:53 am

Paying 10 gold?

Rex is still far from gimmicky. Lowering damage and increasing berserk threshold would only turn him into a glass cannon who just takes one turn to "wind up". There could be a marginal health increase to soak up the free shot you'd get at him as a result, but even that may be overkill considering the overall increase of the time he'd spend in a "threatening" state afterwards (now instead of potentially landing two blows before berserk is reached, you'll definitely only get one).

Moreover, even with his low health, you're going to spend most of the level "fighting" Rex in a more protracted and subtle manner (At least if you want his trophy).

Right now, it's admittedly hard to meet his 97 damage for a 1hit-KO survival if you're trying to exploit knockback at lower levels. It relies on other measures which aren't always at hand. Reducing the damage output by about 15 or so should increase your range of survivability options considerably, and hitting the berserk switch immediately afterwards will carry him up to a decent 120.
Nandrew

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:40 pm

The Binlor prep costs 10.

Personally, I consider a glass cannon gimmicky but I guess that's debatable.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Sidestepper on Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:46 pm

Again, I really, really think that Rex does not need an adjustment. He is not the problem. A map where the higher level monsters are all crammed into a single linear corridor is the problem. The player would lose that scenario with or without Rex, he just makes it end quicker.

I get that Rex is supposed to be used as a wall smasher, but look at that map I posted. There are only only two or three places along the corridor where you can use him to break through, and most of those just kick you back into the low level central area that you will have already explored by then.
Sidestepper

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:30 pm

Rex is the problem, because without him no one would follow you around. Then it's rock garden with different monsters and bosses. Seeing rock garden is easy to beat, so would be this new labyrinth.

The Avatar

Postby Sidestepper on Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:48 pm

No, rock garden is easy because it opens itself up as you play. Totally different situation. Those two extra connections per level are absolutely huge.
Sidestepper

Postby Darvin on Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:04 pm

I'd be hesitant about lowering Rex's damage at all. Rexx is basically in the same category as Aequitas or Bleaty in terms of the kind of threat he presents, with his primary difficulty being his capacity to 1HKO you. His lack of magic resist is particularly notable, and even characters with abysmal spellcasting power can still fireball him to death. Even a single free attack may be over the top, and if his post-berserk damage is reduced that would certainly be far too generous to the player.

I agree with Sidestepper; the problem is the dungeon layout, and if anything Rex is one of the weakest and least threatening bosses in the game.
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:35 pm

I'm with Darvin.

Even though I was annoyed at the fact that Rex was a bit pita to get a throphy out of, once I started thinking about it as intentonal, I don't mind it anymore.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Bloggorus on Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:38 am

Last edited by Bloggorus on Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bloggorus

Postby Bloggorus on Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:53 am

Bloggorus

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons