[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - What did you do to the interface?!

What did you do to the interface?!

All things Desktop Dungeons

What did you do to the interface?!

Postby screeg on Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:56 pm

I paid $20 for the special edition (or whatever it is). I feel like I got $20 out of the alpha already, it's the best free game I ever played. That said, WTF did you do to the interface?

Some points:
> Why on earth do I need to have a destination selected before picking my race/class to go adventuring? Why can't I just select something to preview it?
> What is the purpose of your busy background illustration for the town? I figured you would be able to select certain buildings, or access them interactively. Instead you've got a series of ugly grey bars over top of it.
> Please god tell me there will be a way to skip the 20 minute tutorial! I know how to play the game, I didn't learn anything new. The game is not complicated and could have been explained in two dungeons rather than four.
> The goofy little signboards. Okay, I see the logic of having them during the tutorial. Then I started my first dungeon and found they were everywhere. All right, I figured at this point I would see each of the game tips and then they would be gone... WRONG! They repeat. And every time I hit one I get a popup I have to close out of (instead of having the option to not read them). Let me turn off hints altogether please, or just get rid of them. They don't add anything to the dungeon experience, trust me. Put them on the loading screen or something if you're attached to them.
> potions taking up an inventory slot: don't like it.
> let me preview what my conversion bonus is by hovering over the conversion symbol, without anything selected.
> having duplicate runes in dungeons: don't like it. I'd rather just get fewer runes.
> I can't view my spells/items and opponent at the same time. This is a royal pain in the a$$ and I very much hope you'll reconsider. Why would you do something like this?
> Last thing: my overall impression is that you tried to take a tight, exciting game and stretch the basic mechanics over more ground, things like having duplicate runes just make the game duller. I never played until the Aug 5 version, and I understand people complained before then about the difficulty. Well the new version certainly isn't difficult at the start! I thought the whole attraction of alpha DD was the difficulty?

Maybe I sound like a big whiner, but like I said, I got my money's worth in the alpha so I'm not sorry to support your work with my purchase. The alpha was fantastic. In fact, right now I feel like going back and playing it some more.
screeg

Re: What did you do to the interface?!

Postby dislekcia on Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:10 pm

Signposts will eventually have checkboxes to prevent them popping up again. You should only really be seeing the introduction messages in the first 3 dungeons after the tutorial.

The tutorial will be skippable later on, right now we needed to force players through that so that we could get as many testing it as possible... Also, you learned nothing new? I don't remember there being slot types and the ability to convert items in the alpha...

There are really quite lengthy threads about the Kingdom interface already.

We had to make choices regarding the inventory and enemy info display. Generally you mouse over an enemy and then mouse off it to use an item. This seems to work pretty well... If you have other ideas on how to not obscure dungeon space AND display twice the amount of information, we're really all ears ;)
dislekcia

Postby pakoito on Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:59 pm

> let me preview what my conversion bonus is by hovering over the conversion symbol, without anything selected.
You can see it by hovering over any convertible item.
pakoito

Postby Galefury on Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:00 pm

Not being able to see my items while mousing over an enemy doesn't really bother me, but not being able to see my glyphs does. In the alpha there was that neat glyph bar, and that way you always knew which button you had to press to access each glyph. Now that neat bar is still there (it even got bigger!), but you cant see it when mousing over an enemy. It really inhibits hotkey use. Persistent hotkeys for each gyph would help, as would a little mini inventory bar (icons only) which never disappears.
Galefury

Postby michal.lewtak on Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:24 pm

Peeps, you're aware that you can press tab to quickly toggle between inventory and enemy (and anything else that's on the bottom tabs bar), right? Doesn't beat seeing everything at once like we had in the alpha, but in exchange for the awesome inventory system, I can deal with it.
Also useful to quickly see the piety log.
michal.lewtak

Postby platypotamus on Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:49 pm

platypotamus

Postby Jaxzar on Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:29 am

Jaxzar, Dwarf Rogue
Jaxzar

Postby Zaratustra on Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:00 pm

Duplicate BURNDAYRAZ means having twice the chance of finding the fireball early when you need it.
Zaratustra

Postby michal.lewtak on Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:48 pm

michal.lewtak

Postby screeg on Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:13 pm

Thanks for addressing my concerns. I was glad to see that some of the issues disappear immediately after the introductory dungeons. Still think you should consider the enemy/glyphs viewing inventory issue though. Perhaps you could (re)introduce a horizontal bar in the enemy view with just the inventory symbols?

Keep up the good work guys!
screeg

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons