ETA

All things Desktop Dungeons

ETA

Postby appa on Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:33 am

I didn't see it in the faq... When do you think the game will either be available for download or finished? I was thinking of buying it - as a mac user, I'd like to be able to play it with a larger screen size - but I don't really want to pay ten bucks to play it on my browser.

One other thing... are you going to make it so that you can choose between the art styles. I don't imagine I'm the only one who prefers the pixely art.
appa

Re: ETA

Postby pakoito on Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:09 am

2 months, available in every platform that Unity allows to export (PC, Mac, iOS; Android...). No word about tilesets yet.
pakoito

Postby dislekcia on Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:38 pm

No fixed release date so far. We're aiming for 4 months on the outside, but there's a lot of content and a lot of bugs that need to be squished...

No, we probably won't be enabling the switch between art styles. The new tilesets have so much effort that goes into them in order to convey more dungeon info. This is the considered art that we want for the game really.
dislekcia

Postby jpno on Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:29 pm

It's been about a year now since the hand-wavey 4 month thing - and longer since I pre-ordered :(

As a fellow aspiring dev, It'd be awesome for me personally if you guys could do a mini-postmortem on why another year has passed and still no ETA in sight. Is it the scope that's increased? technical difficulties? game balancing complications? distractions? I'm sure whatever you have to say would be fascinating insights into the process of game development! :)
jpno

Postby dislekcia on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:48 am

Balance expanding to fill available space. Polish expanding to fill unavailable space that you'd swear you thought you wouldn't be using. Resource hassles before we got our pipeline working better... We'll do a postmortem all right, I'm just not sure what it would say on this topic though - it's probably mostly due to the beta meaning that we have loads of player feedback, so it almost feels like the game IS out to us in some respects. We know it's not done, which is why we've been seriously changing focus in the last few months.

Another large part of it could be that we come from a rapid prototyping perspective, so we got the "game" part up and running really quickly, there wasn't a lot of wasted time writing engine elements, etc. So at the moment the game tends to look relatively static, while under the skin large systems that are needed for achievements or edge cases in saving and loading are being added all the time. Dungeon restarting is a seriously complex thing, for instance.
dislekcia

Postby jpno on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:39 am

Hey guys, it's been about 6 months since my last checkin, so .... how's the *final* game coming along? It's now been 20 months since I pre-ordered, and I'm hoping it doesn't reach 24. Any more insights into the development process to share? Thanks in advance!
jpno

Return to Desktop Dungeons