[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Should the player be able to die?

Should the player be able to die?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Should the player be able to die?

Postby FDru on Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:05 pm

Pretty much what TigerKnee said.

My deaths lately consist of accidentally clicking on a level 9 something while mousing next to a black square during low level exploration or overlooking "new features" like Count Blah-Blah's fireball retaliation that he never had the first bazillion times I beat him :roll:

Just a quaint little box that says "You will die." and two buttons that say "K." or "Nevermind." would be sufficient (possibly disabled if you have any kind of dodge chance).

Honestly I used to be against this idea, and I have posts lying around here to prove it, but it's happened enough times to get really annoying.
FDru

Postby gjaustin on Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:49 pm

gjaustin

Postby Mister Bile on Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:49 am

I wouldn't mind an "Are you sure," since sometimes I play DD on a laptop with a very twitchy trackpad. That said, I'm not sure how much of a help it really would be- half the time, that misclick doesn't kill me directly, it just causes me to make a mistake from which I'll never recover.
Mister Bile

Postby fall_ark on Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:53 am

fall_ark

Postby Fran on Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:34 pm

One reason for that not to work is dodging. If you can undo one step, the dodging gets either reset or not.
If it gets resetted, you can try until you dodge -> breaks the game.
If it doesn't get resetted, you have perfect dodge prediction -> breaks the game.
Fran

Postby Leotamer on Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:20 pm

Here is how I can see a undo working(with some changes this isn't going to be prefect): It only works for pots, gylphs and attacks.
It doesn't work on random chance gylphs or pots, and we go with the first dodge option with Fran, but just add spam protection. ( You have to do say 5 actions before you can reset again.)
Leotamer

Postby Fran on Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:23 pm

Doesn't the undo button entirely lose its purpose when there are restrictions on when you can use it?
Fran

Postby Leotamer on Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:22 pm

True, but at the same time, this is the PC market, if something is exploitable, it will be exploited.
Leotamer

Postby FDru on Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:13 pm

I've had countless misclicks, or accidental glyph conversions, or you name it... and still completed the dungeon. If it doesn't kill you, it can be worked around. I've learned a lot of things aren't as bad as they seem (like taking a couple stacks of corrosion) just because I did something by accident. Taking that away... just seems wrong.
FDru

Postby The Avatar on Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:26 pm

That's all true. I personally only care about insta-death.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons