[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - A surprising monster ommission

A surprising monster ommission

All things Desktop Dungeons

A surprising monster ommission

Postby The Avatar on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:02 pm

Okay, maybe people haven't realized, maybe they don't care, but I just realisd there are no SKELETONS! This is a basic fantasy staple and I'm really surprised there aren't any! Then again maybe that's purposeful and its probably to late to introduce even a medium staple monster (not found in the random set but in quite a few hard ones, like eastern tundra) but it just seemed surprising. We have Rusalkas, something no one has heard of but no sleletons. Wierd...
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Re: A surprising monster ommission

Postby Lujo on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:15 pm

Rusalkas are quite well known to me, american comrade :) Even though, from literature, really. They're russian river elfs or nymphs who sometimes drown people I think. I'm quite a way away from Russia, so I never met any :D

And skellies are a big no-no in China even if it's just an overshigt. They used to have separate MtG art for cards depicting skelletons. If you're looking to sell anything over there at any point, skellies are out.

EDIT: And Tokoloshe are South African - the Havendale brigde is an awesomely flavourfull level ^^
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:20 pm

Oh... I had no idea. Also, thanks for the cool lore bit on rusalkas. Now I know why they're in Havendale. Err... Why are they a no-no in China?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:25 pm

I think they have had a long standing government policy on not depicting corpses or outright shocking images in print or visual media. Seems weird and random compared to the western policies, but I sort of see where they're coming from.

Zombies are ok I think, but anything without flesh seems to creep the average chineese person out.
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:38 pm

Wait, so flesh is okay, but no bones? Well, I guess that's part of their culture.

I guess I can make my own with a level editor or they could add them in DLC.

The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:39 pm

True, treu, it was a nice spot.
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:58 pm

What would a skeleton be? Undead, First Strike or curse?, 90% health and 120% attack?

The Avatar

Postby harfatum on Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:22 pm

I would think undead, low health, magic resistance. Maybe the opposite of cowardly, advancing toward the player whenever you hit / kill an enemy.

I want an enemy that explodes when killed, dealing damage to you and any adjacent enemies.
Have a mug of tea.
harfatum

Postby The Avatar on Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:31 pm

I actually suggest that effect back when I was typing up dungeons. Explosive: Deal damage equal to remaining health when killed in addition to normal damage. Decaying Ooze explosive, corrosive, hp 80%, attack 80%.

The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:37 pm

gjaustin

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons