[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Paladin + Mystera Annur worship very good.

Paladin + Mystera Annur worship very good.

All things Desktop Dungeons

Paladin + Mystera Annur worship very good.

Postby Wargizmo on Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:22 pm

Ok I don't know if this is overpowered or not, but I've found it to be a ridiculously good strategy with the current beta.

Pick Paladin, get Mysteria worship as soon as you can, then use your healing during fights to level up piety, healing is so cheap that it will level up very quickly. Now spend all your piety on the 'magic' boon which gives you extra mana points at the cost of extra monster magic resist. The trick to this strategy is the fact that you're attacking monsters with your sword so there's no drawback to taking this boon over and over, as long as you remember to cast heal or another spell every couple of swings the god won't get angry.

Take on the hardest monsters you can, and use healing liberally. You'll quickly see a snowball effect happen, more heals -> more piety -> magic boon -> higher mana pool -> more heals and by the time you're level 6 or so you'll be taking on level 8's without any problem due to the sheer amount of healing you can do. By the end of the game your mana pool will be around 30 and you'll usually be level 9 or 10 by the time you take on the final boss.

The boss itself is easy because you'll have so many heals, mana pots are ridiculously good with this strategy because they're based off your total mana pool.

I haven't decided on the best race for this build but I'm leaning towards dwarf or gnome. If you find and destroy a few glyphs before getting worship then gnome is probably better since mana pots are so damn good, but if you get worship first then it will anger the gods to do so, so you're better off going with dwarf.

For preparations, the only one you really need is Scout: Altar, but good weapons and stuff like the mana burn immunity helm will make this strategy even better.
Wargizmo

Re: Paladin + Mystera Annur worship very good.

Postby GG Crono on Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:09 pm

Ooh, I'll have to try this. Sounds fun!
GG Crono

Postby TigerKnee on Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:30 pm

Dwarves is actually pretty bad for this strategy IMO unless you can't survive a hit from an enemy. Having more Max HP doesn't improve healing from glyphs anyway.

Also, while it is a very powerful strategy, I note that it fails terribly against bosses with very high physical resistance such as Tower of Goo or Mana-burners (unless you get Soul Orb).

I would probably go with Gnome who can take advantage of more potions and cure mana burn.
TigerKnee

Postby Galefury on Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:36 pm

How does this fail against bosses with physical resistance? You can still pick up the flames boon and start burning stuff with your 30+ mana instead of relying on physical attacks and healing.
Galefury

Postby TigerKnee on Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:41 pm

That's IF you have the foresight to know your boss is Tower of Goo though.

If you just repeatedly spam Mana boon, then it's highly likely that your enemy will have too ridiculous a magic resistance value.

If you play it safe with 5 Mana boons -> weaken resistance, you'll have like half the max mana. Probably still good actually now that I think of it.

So play safe I guess unless you reveal the boss early!
TigerKnee

Postby FDru on Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:03 pm

Or take a really big sword. I used that to easily beat the rock garden.
FDru

Postby TigerKnee on Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:07 pm

Ooh, forgot those exist.

Hmm, with Soul Orb and a really big sword, the only thing you have to worry about is Weaken and Corrosive, which aren't part of the standard enemy set.

Of course, Soul Orb is currently bugged in the Locker now and I suspect SOMETHING will be nerfed about this combo. Probably Mystera's piety gain.
TigerKnee

Postby Zaratustra on Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:32 pm

Thanks for this build, finally managed to beat the ick swamp :D

Do note that even if you piss Mystera off, all she does is raise magic resistance and you didn't care about that anyway. You can go around cleaning warlocks then go back to being a nice pious dude right away.

I think Human or Orc are the way to go. If you time your level-ups right, you'll never need a mana potion anyway.
Zaratustra

Postby TigerKnee on Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:04 pm

TigerKnee

Postby Zaratustra on Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:07 pm

Zaratustra

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons