The Map

All things Desktop Dungeons

The Map

Postby The Avatar on Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:50 pm

Okay, I have a question about the map. The map is going to get a background, but how will dungeon selection work? Dungeons be large regions covered with fog till you reveal them or will the map be pre-revealed, but different location pictures will appear when you discover the corresponding dungeon (like a clickable labyrinth button that appears when you click the labyrinth)?

I personally hope it's option 2, and I'm curious to find out what other people like and what they will be doing (number one, two, or something different).
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Re: The Map

Postby Fran on Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:01 pm

I'd like to see an empty scroll where the things you unlock are scribbled down - just the way a cartographer would do this:
Draw what you know, as soon as you know it.
When you have unlocked every dungeon, the map is a sketch of the whole available world.
Fran

Postby The Avatar on Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:11 am

The only annoying thing about that is you couldn't add dungeons, assuming they actually added a level editor. Otherwise, I'm inclined to agree with you.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Bloggorus on Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:06 am

I'd say it will divided into regions with dungeons scattered them. If ever they wanted to add other dungeons, they can just stick another dungeons graphic somewhere.

Or just change the whole graphic, it wouldn't be hard.

Pretty much the same as it is now, but with pretty art and the dungeons/quests arranged better
Bloggorus

Postby The Avatar on Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:17 am

Yeah. I guess they could do both. It draws up extra map as you reveal more dungeons, and you select the fancy item on your newly drawn map to select the dungeon.

The Avatar

Postby Bloggorus on Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:38 pm

I imagine the 'items could simply be cut-out parts of the overall graphic, ie a particular mountain, waterfall or castle somewhere. They would be highlit when you mouse over them, and flagged

The artists could put all sorts of nice little things all over the map, and if ever the devs want to add a dungeon they can just choose a new landmark and put it there
Bloggorus

Postby The Avatar on Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:17 am

Or if players want to add dungeons... Hopefully...

The Avatar

Postby dislekcia on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:00 am

We're working on something that sounds the most like 2.
dislekcia

Return to Desktop Dungeons