Vicious Dungeon Strategies

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Vicious Dungeon Strategies

Postby JaggerMcDagger on Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:42 pm

Ohhhh! Now I get it. Weird. Well, not really, but I wasn't thinking like that. So is the only thing fatigued does is remove your mana regen?
JaggerMcDagger

Postby Fran on Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:46 pm

Yes. But that's keeping the vampire in check pretty well.
Fran

Postby JaggerMcDagger on Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:45 pm

I have more good news to report: I unlocked half-dragon! Here's how I did it!
So first choice was a taurog zerker. Easy peasy!
Now my second run, I tried an interesting experiment. I did vampire with platemail, usual potions and elite. And then I was like, you know, I don't really need extra gold, and I don't really need extra popcorn, lets see what patches does for the first time ever! And lucky for me, Patches is super neutered by vampire's natural immunities. Now granted, I still died to matron once because of a misclick, but it was relatively simple.
My final run used the same sort of logic: take Patches, but use it on someone who won't be hurt by it. So I went with an Orc Crusader. This run was interesting as well because I ended up getting rid of Patches at level 3 so I could get a Martyr Wrap and an amulet of Yendor and some other items. But whatever, I now have a half dragon! Only one more class until I can go back to having an empty void in my life! Hooray!
JaggerMcDagger

Postby Blovski on Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:00 pm

The Crusader is actually hideously good at that dungeon - I went prepped Dragon Shield with Taurog -> EM -> Taurog -> Drac. Warmonger, one health potion off parched (could've been none if I'd been ready for it and hadn't cocked up the plant management). Also, somehow a plant spawned on the EM altar, which I swear shouldn't happen...

I think Tikki Rogue may work for a parched run if managed properly - I tried him and didn't make it (went GG since saw him early - hard to say if that or glyph under-use sunk the run for me).
Blovski

Postby The Avatar on Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:31 pm

Crusaders are great for practically all Vicious. Curse immunity is HUGE.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:35 pm

I don't know about the vamp, but the crusader is just about the only guy who is reliably immune to curse. Since he's also immune to poison and mana burn this makes him a beter resist stacker in some way than the guys who stat out with resists. He can also lug patches around with no downsides except random "ur dead" teleports.

I'm not sure whether this was intended or not. The combination of "no relevant debufs" + "no downside patches" + "extra altar to mooch resists out of" makes him very single mindedly powerfull - but has no sinergy wih the first ability at all :D

And curse is really dependent on not being easily ignored, it's unique as a staus effect in that regard. Crusader makes fun of that concept.

EDIT: Avatar beat me to it. :)
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Gavster on Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:47 pm

The idea behind high health characters is good but I find they lack damage bad and in Vicious runs I run out of unexplored space. The potions get used up but I don't do much damage. Whereas having high dmg/not as ridiculously high health seems to go better. Is the trick in pumping up resists too?
Gavster

Postby Sidestepper on Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:56 pm

If you are doing health stacking as your primary thing, you really need the Fireheart, which is the only health support item in the game. Refilling your resources between fights will be a huge problem even with the Fireheart, so you need to try and ding after two fights, maximum, every time. Resistances certainly help, but part of the appeal of extreme health stacking is that you can tank without needing resistances and can therefore ignore Curse.

Blovski posted a Dwarf Glowing Guardian Paladin strategy that works on Naga City and I was able to make it work on my first try. That being said, this is probably the upper limit of what you can do with a dedicated health stacker. I doubt this would work in Demonic Library.
Sidestepper

Postby The Avatar on Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:38 pm

Not much works in DL. It's really hard.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Gavster on Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:00 am

Let's talk demonic library. Those bosses are beast. The problems I see are: no easy level catapult, limited space, are there less monsters? And a struggle to get to level 10 with some characters. So maximising resources seems vital, decent attack dmg - its hard burndarayzing down bosses with limited resources. What character combos are good?
Gavster

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons