A little encouragement

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: A little encouragement

Postby Lujo on Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:02 pm

Long rant made me laugh out loud :)

EDIT: The new Gaan'Telet is nothing like the old one and will take a whole different approach. I just found the "retalliate fireball floor. Nasty bit that one. And I thought a randomly spawned Illusion was something... Then a I found a Dragonguard. Also the fact that there iss no blackspace behind the first row of walls ambushed me.

Wow.

On the other hand, the fact that all the floors have portals now will be a (real-)lifesaver if and when I figure a way to crack it. No way to crack it consistently though, or so it seems. I also found the compression seal - very nice.
Last edited by Lujo on Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby squirrelnest on Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:56 pm

Slowing platemail?
I was so close to beating Dragon Isles, I had the boss down to like 30% with my platemail wearing berserker...

I'm going to go cry alone for a while now.
squirrelnest

Postby The Avatar on Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:14 pm

What's the new GT like? I can't try play right now.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby q 3 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:54 pm

The main floor starts with a central area that's fully explored, which will eventually have stairs to all of the individual floors, and a large unexplored area surrounding the central area. Both are filed with the usual assortment of stuff. Each floor is still thematic, with a specific altar, monster ability (counter fireball, bloodless, no XP, first strike), small effect item (+5 XP, +3 corrosion to all monsters, Yang's sword, etc.), and you sometimes get a status ailment on entering. However, the monster types are more varied - there are gorgons, goblins, serpents, meat men, etc., on nearly every floor, although they get nastier and nastier (and gain extra abilities) as you progress. No animated armors, from what I can tell, but it seems you're guaranteed to eventually run into not only an Illusion, but also one of the weakening/corroding statutes from the Rogue Silver challenge and a Dancing Blade (blinks, 10 death protections, hits hard) from the Sorcerer Silver challenge.

The game crashed by the time I got to the center stairs, which I assume features a new and improved Horatio.

EDIT: You always start out just a few tiles away from the first set of stairs (although there's always a monster blocking you, natch, but usually only level 1/2 and there are plenty of glyphs to get around it). I've been plowing through most of the floors fairly easily just by taking a Rogue and scumming for GG right off the bat. (Whatever deity you're currently worshiping has their altar teleport to the main floor, so you can go ahead and exploit Absolution, Plantation, etc.) Seeing as I got to the final (?) floor on a purist run after only three tries, unless Horatio has like a million HP or something I don't think it will be long before the devs are annoyed at one of us for ruining their fun.
q 3

Postby Lujo on Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:28 pm

Ok, I had Horratio (seems to be the same old Horratio) down to a 1000, and I had 62% resists on a 175 Damage rogue, and about 2-3 full floors worth of exploration and 100 Drac piety, so that's a win in my book. It crashed when I went to join GG for a bit of extra cleansing (ran out of curse removal popcorn, lol, otherwise I would've done it on just drac. Post Enlightment ofc :D).

Anyway, this doesn't prove anything, since Rogue is obviously broken - none of the other guys had such an easy time. Shame for no screenshot.

However, I really have to remember that Altars spawn topside now once you worship - everything which made the place harder now is quite made up for with the fact that I can finally use Binlor, GG and EM in a sensible manner. This is fair and fine.

Thank you devs!

(Also, Rogue is really, really obviously broken. Truly. For realz. True story. 100% Monk approved bustedness right there.)

EDIT: Stuff you can run into includes the bridge Troll, the Dragonguard, and Illusion, a floor full of Retaliate: Fireball, floor full of Bloodless (good one :D). Stuff you can find includs a whole lot of items which can be made great places to reference the crazy vet's - Long Rant (3 global corrosion - might be linked with the corrosion statue), Cracked Amulet (+5 XP), Penance (+2 Dam and ?, but removes them when you convert it), Sensation stone (you can also get one off the troll), Yang's Sword (+3 dam + 1 DP, he also shows up but is a regular enemy only bloodless - there may be a ling between spawns and "special" floors), Some sort of Ham (supposed to buff your HP per level and poison but seems to only poison you - bugged), and maybe other stuff.

SUGGESTION: As long as what you can find is finite (or rather guaranteed to show up eventually) we'll be able to pinpoint the optimal strats and stuff. Whish there were more of the "optional" bonus and minus stuff to make it crazy random like a proper mini-roguelike :)

ALSO: If the bonus stuff gets named after beta-testers - dibs on the rant. I only gat Darvin possibly competing for that one, but his weren't corrosive :P (and it's a bit weaksauce right now).
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:03 pm

If they add a cheese I claim it. I think winning every Vicious with every class and every badge is cheesy in my books.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:10 pm

It occurs to me that with Platemail nerfed, Fighter Gold will need to be toned down.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:14 pm

Even more. It was already too hard, but now it probably isn't possible.

The Avatar

Postby q 3 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:13 pm

The RBS works remarkably well in Fighter Gold - the boss's 25% phys resist had me thinking it was the intended Blacksmith prep anyway. Just add a few shops, maybe reduce the boss' HP or attack by a little bit, and it should be hard, but feasible, which is just about right for a gold challenge.
q 3

Postby Sidestepper on Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:30 am

Did anyone else keep deliberately screwing up hoping to get a negative report from the endgame toast?

"You did 5 damage! That's near your previous best of 23,789!"

I was hoping for something like

"You suck and Packmaster is very disappointed in you <deleting all profile information>"
Sidestepper

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons