Cash Flow Clarity

All things Desktop Dungeons

Cash Flow Clarity

Postby Bloggorus on Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:54 am

This came to me after discussions about the cost of preps vs their use.

Following the introduction of the gold sinks, everyone is suddenly much more conscious of gold costs.

I thought it would be a good idea to put in more ways you can track your cash flow.

At the moment, all you can do is memorize how much you put into a run and then subtract it from what you take out of a dungeon. Easy enough, but sometimes you forget or it's unclear.

Would it be difficult to display the PROFIT you get from each dungeon run, and not just a static amount at the end of a run?

Ie. at the end screen, show what you spent on preps versus what you made, including if you lost the run.

It would be even more effective if you could display this expenditure vs profit thing on the prep screen, so you can tell straight away if a run will net you lots of gold. Not sure how that would work though.

This might seem purely cosmetic, but i think it would go a long way to communicate the need to manage gold in your kingdom, and make doing so a little easier.

I think people struggle seeing both super-powerful and mediocre items in the same space. Each have their uses, more so after gold sink introduction brought the importance of kingdom gold up.

But from a player's perspective you ALWAYS want those ultra-powerful preps and wonder why you would ever go for anything else if you can afford it. It's a tease having them side by side, and hard to rationalise taking low cost preps when there are better things on offer.

If you can monitor your profit margins, you can see the result of always using pricey preps. At the moment, it's not really apparent until you've run out of gold, and once you get used to using awesome items it's hard to go back.

One thing i would LOVE to see, but won't this late it the beta, is the cost of preps taken out of trophies. Set trophies to 300 gold minus prep cost. In other words, every gold coin you spend on preps reduces your potential profit directly, with no confusion.
Bloggorus

Re: Cash Flow Clarity

Postby The Avatar on Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:18 am

The problem with making preps only weaken trophies is if you run there's no prepping penalty. Also, Vicious items screw with this. Speaking of Vicious and Gold: Namtar, Avatar, and the matron need to give you money! Otherwise those dungeons are HUGE gold sinks with no reason to return after you've won.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Re: Cash Flow Clarity

Postby booooooze on Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:45 am

I'm not saying I've never run out of money. When focused on a particular challenge (ahem, old VHoS), I'd regularly run out of gold. But that's fine. Do a few flaming dungeons with bet on boss, plenty of cash available. Even with a full load of preps.
booooooze

Return to Desktop Dungeons