Final dungeon/quest balance tweaks

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Final dungeon/quest balance tweaks

Postby The Avatar on Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:24 pm

Hmm... It might still be too hard. You NEED poison and you NEED JJ.

What about Sorcerer Gold?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby q 3 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:40 pm

That's the one with the ridiculous number of death protections, right? Gnome, worship Mystera, max out your magic abilities, remember that once the boss' HP is low enough, each fireball can take out two DPs if you alternate your attacks, and that once he loses enough DPs you can finish him off with melee. I can't remember which items I used, but Mage Plate, Crystal Ball, Battlemage Ring, and Whrrgarbl (so each of your melee strikes takes off 3 DPs) are probably all effective.
q 3

Postby The Avatar on Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:53 pm

I thought he had 999 hp, 999 attack, 99 DP, and he revived identically. Did they change it?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby q 3 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:14 pm

It's been a couple of weeks, but as I recall it was 66 DPs for each form. Keep in mind that each time he loses a DP his attack decreases - a lot - and so you can safely melee the last 20-30 DPs (and the last 10 or so are chump change).
q 3

Postby The Avatar on Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:04 am

True, but that's still pretty hellishly difficult compared to some others.

The Avatar

Postby q 3 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:31 am

Eh, pure fireball strategies are kind of ridiculously overpowered right now (albeit completely ineffective versus magic immunity - and Counter Fireball, but I repeat myself). They're also quite reliable, since you either have enough MP resources to pull it off, or you don't. In this case you do: as long as you're an Elf or Gnome, take full advantage of Mystera's boons, and acquire at least one or two of the related items, it should be pretty straightforward - much less of a brain teaser / scum fest than, say, Thief or Paladin Gold.

On that note, I think I'd personally rate the difficulty of gold challenges something like this, from easiest to hardest (based on my own experience, of course):

Berserker (once you figure out the trick)
Priest (ditto)
Thief (unless you get screwed by the dungeon layout, which is often)
Assassin (if you find a way of bypassing the sub-boss other than playing a Goblin)
Wizard
Sorcerer
Warlord
Rogue
Paladin
Monk
Fighter (though I haven't taken a serious stab at it since the update - as the only (?) gold challenge that allows/requires preps, I'm not keen on spending a whole lot of my limited funds on it)
Bloodmage (seriously, is this even beatable?)
q 3

Postby The Avatar on Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:47 am

I'd say:
Priest
Berserker
Thief
Fighter
Rogue
Warlord
Wizard
Sorcerer
Paladin
Monk
Bloodmage

I think Paladin and harder need a nerf while thief and less need small buffs.

The Avatar

Postby Sidestepper on Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:36 am

I actually beat Monk gold on my first try, and only later appreciated how crazy lucky I was. I found Taurog right next to spawn, and found BYCEPS mid-way through. I turns out that the extra damage from BYCEPS is way more valuable than a few death protections, so if you get this combo, spend all of your excess piety on spell casting and forget that Unstoppable Fury exists.

I'm not sure that this is beatable without BYCEPS.
Sidestepper

Postby Nurator on Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:23 am

i somehow managed to complete ALL class challenges... but I have no idea how :D i dont even remember bloodmage gold being hard... maybe it was a while ago and they changed something. The same with fighter gold.. I think I only did it with the platemail bug (that was a glorious week^^)
Nurator

Postby The Avatar on Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:57 pm

Bloodmage gold used to be a joke. You could prep stuff and the boss had as much hp as Bleaty.

The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons