Roguelike Refinements

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Roguelike Refinements

Postby q 3 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:33 pm

WONAFYT is really only useful right now because it so frequently spawns near the dungeon entrance, so you can spam it early on. I wonder if there isn't a fairly minor change that would make it much more useful later in a dungeon: have it prioritize monsters that are already wounded. That way a new player, or someone messing around with the Balanced Dagger, can use it to get the first strike and +1 XP against a same-level monster that's near death without having to worry about it targeting an uninjured same-level monster (which, when monsters are at a high enough level that you can't one shot them, is basically a wasted cast). It might also give the glyph new value in the vicious dungeons, particularly the Tower, where a less expensive WEYTWUT against a level 10 Gorgon or Goblin would be very handy.
q 3

Postby The Avatar on Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:35 pm

That would be quite powerful for just 5 mana. Then it cuts off the one place WEYTWUT wins too. Fighting Gorgons and Goblins mid-late game.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby q 3 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:44 pm

Could be. Though only WEYTWUT can target monsters at a higher level than you, which is what you're usually fighting. (Part of the problem, IMO, is that both glyphs have the exact same effect, they only difference is in their targeting. I guess big changes are out of the picture now, but even a little bit of variation would make them seem less redundant to new players.)
q 3

Postby Darvin on Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:02 pm

What WONAFYT really need was a re-imaging like what PISORF and WEYTWUT got at the start of the beta. It's much too late for that now, sadly, and we just have to live with the fact that this is more or less its final form.

I'm happy with the current state of ENDISWAL, GETINDARE, BURNDAYRAZ, BLUDTUPOWA, APHEELSIK, PISORF and HALPMEH

I'm satisfied with the current state of BYSSEPS, WEYTWUT, and LEMMISI

I'm not quite so happy with the current state of WONAFYT, IMAWAL, and CYDSTEPP
Darvin

Postby q 3 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:18 pm

IMAWAL bonus experience should increase to 100%. Or maybe 50% + 10% times the level of the monster you petrified. The new XP curve and the +1 XP from slow make it too inefficient except on levels with loads of plants or revenants.
q 3

Postby The Avatar on Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:05 am

100% seems to strong, but I guess you'd have to test it out to know.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:06 am

100% would probably be too strong if you're using it on no-XP targets like plants, but I doubt it would be an issue when used on popcorn. I've been asking for a secondary effect that only applies when it's used on an experience-granting target, but I think the devs would have done that long ago if they'd had any such inclination.
Darvin

Postby q 3 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:36 am

Yeah, I would bump the bonus up and then remove (or reduce) the bonus from petrifying no-XP monsters. What if there was no bonus from petrifying plants, but the bonus from petrifying XP-granting monsters can stack? E.g., petrify 5 level 1's for 50% each and you'll get +250% on your next kill? Strong, certainly, but at a cost of 5 popcorn (and 25 MP) it's a significant trade-off.
q 3

Postby The Avatar on Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:43 am

Well, if it was 50+5 or 10% monster level it would avoid no exp abuse.

The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:47 pm

I'm a bit amazed by how whatever gets clamoured for rarely gets proper "GJ!" from the community once it gets addressed.

That said THANK YOU for the Bloodmage Silver nerf - that map alone killed my will to play.

And also about the Rogue - I've said much on the subject, and just about anything is welcome, plus this one actually is rather in line with my whole "Rogue beats other guys for one ablity slot". Might just be enough, needs testing.

Anyway, nice job guys, I'm certanly appreciating (spelling, tired) it.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons