IMAWAL solution: Make statues breakable

All things Desktop Dungeons

IMAWAL solution: Make statues breakable

Postby Bloggorus on Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:41 am

The changes to Imawal recently were slight, and I don't think many players harness the new ability to spawn walls (at least I haven't found a reason to yet). The statues thing is nice, but cosmetic, and I was expecting some kind of gameplay element surrounding them.

I think the best solution would be to make statues breakable by hitting them. Doing so would give you a layer of stoneskin, allowing interesting regen fighting in the endgame as a reward for careful use of IMAWAL in the early game.

WONAFYT works in a similar way, designed to create a pool of resources and then be converted. I use it all the time, and would like to use IMAWAL the same way.

It would also stop players from inadvertently blocking themselves in (with revenants, for instance).

Plants still turn into walls, monsters turn into statues which you can shatter.

What do people think?
Bloggorus

Re: IMAWAL solution: Make statues breakable

Postby Wargasm on Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:45 am

I'm sure you know this, but I'll just put this here for other newish players; you CAN break them with Knockback, just like normal walls. If you're forcing a Binlor or Earthmother shrine to spawn, this works nicely with the Bear Mace prep. Mace is a good call for Binlor anyhow, and if you have EM, you know you'll be using IMAWAL.
Wargasm

Postby Blovski on Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:14 am

Wouldn't this make Endiswal basically redundant (i.e. you'd instead take transmutation seal for the secret subdungeon), and the tactical trade-off is the interesting bit of Imawal, really... would seem a shame to lose that just because the effect's a tad lack-lustre in a lot of scenarios at the moment. (given Imawal used right is great for stopping revenants blocking you in... the blocking is only really a worry on the closed maps)
Blovski

Postby The Avatar on Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:01 pm

I like it how it is with a minor boost. Making it about saving up stoneskin is weird.

Actually, IMAWAL is a GREAT glyph for half-dragons, so it has some non-exp gaining use.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Nurator on Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:21 pm

what about making the statues breakable and giving you one curse reduction(like the popcorn kill would do), so it only transfers its exp to another fight :)
Nurator

Postby Darvin on Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:29 pm

IMAWAL already gives curse removal when you use it on an xp-giving target. It's a small boost, but I've only found it useful on the Cursed Oasis where you can use it to remove all your layers of curse without leaving curse-world.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:08 pm

Wierd. Still, making it possible to choose when to get rid of the curse is the kind of small buff it needs. And if you can break the statues it is useable in a labyrinth area.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Nurator on Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:04 pm

also that would be the only solution to open a gap with a plant spawn while worshipping EM :) I hate that clearance only chooses random plants...
Nurator

Postby Lujo on Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:40 pm

Dear god, I'm not sure if this would be feasable, but...

What if "heroic vandalism" rewarded you with 1 XP or 1 Gold per non-plant statue?
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:10 pm

One exp is fine. It's great if it was a level 1 popcorn, but gets steadily worse the stronger the popcorn.

The Avatar

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons