[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Feedback

Feedback

All things Desktop Dungeons

Feedback

Postby Zaratustra on Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:07 pm

Playing for a couple of days now. Got the first four "beat dungeon X with class Y" challenges beat, now stuck in the next ones.

A few insights and suggestions:
Interface
[*] Add XP awarded at current level to monster popups.
[*] Have some way to mouse over enemy abilities so I can see exactly what they do.
[*] Some sort of option that disables moves that will knowingly end in death (disconsidering dodge rate), every other time I die is due to misclicking on an enemy.
Gameplay
[*] It seems most dungeons have less monsters and a poorer selection than in the original, so it's much harder to level up.
[*] The bosses are nearly impossible to beat. Pretty much every time I get to the end boss, I can't do anything but stare at it. Things like having 900 HP when I'd be able to deal at most 400 damage with all that I have.
[*] If you're going to drain my gold for me to have minimal bonuses at the dungeon, then admit some grinding is required and include a dungeon full of gold for me to grind away.
[*] The gods all seem unpleasable jackasses that don't return nearly as much as they take, except for Taurog (blessed be).
[*] In general, it seems every upgrade and addition I get makes the game -harder- for me. While I understand the logic, it means I'm reduced to playing every new dungeon with Human Fighter because that's the build that will get anywhere close to defeating a boss.
[*] If the "level up midway through a battle" technique is so fundamental, add a tutorial on it.
Zaratustra

Re: Feedback

Postby Zaratustra on Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:53 pm

Yowza all my stuff got approved at once. I hate stuff a bit less now that I got orcs and figured out how to farm for gold best. some more stuff since I wrote that one:

- Have a special VICTORY outcome warning if I'll defeat the enemy without getting hit back (VICTORY! or FLAWLESS VICTORY or something)
- needs more details on how to play with mystera annur
- I got scared of using glowing guardian's humility ability because it turns out I didn't know what were the bonuses a level up gave me
- needs tutorial on the mid-fight level up since it's such a vital skill for some bosses
- the hardest to beat bosses should be unlocked later in the game
- What's the ! mark that appears over my fighter's guild sometimes?
Zaratustra

Postby dislekcia on Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:38 am

The exclamation mark means you have items you can locker from the previous dungeon run. Temporary and ugly, sorry.

There should be a ton of new dungeons now, less punishing ones ;)
dislekcia

Postby Zaratustra on Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:57 pm

Indeed, the easy quests make for a fun breaker. Also, turns out that now that I have Paladin the Cult of Personality quest has gone from "bloody impossible" to "what will I ever do with all this leftover faith". I presume the other three 3rd-tier quests have similar requirements.

Bug: Viper Ward does not protect from being poisoned by killing a Poisonous Pod.

A suggestion for an unlock: "Squire" - Takes care of all the small monsters for you. Starts you at level 2, but removes all level 1 monsters from the dungeon (speeding up initial game, but removing some potentially useful kills)
Zaratustra

Postby Galefury on Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:22 pm

Why would anyone ever use the squire? It leaves you in a strictly worse situation than not using it.
Galefury

Postby Zaratustra on Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:06 pm

The idea would be to reduce browsing around in level 1 and saving some tiles for the endgame. Maybe it is silly.

Suggestion: Add mouseover info on race/class to the selected race and class on the top right of preparations screen. This is useful for when a dungeon requires you to play, say, Halfling and then you can't quite remember just what the hell a Halfling does.
Zaratustra

Postby Jaxzar on Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:17 am

More of a tip for all the other beta players than an actual suggestion, though it would be nice to have some definitive info on the gods (I remember reading some talk about an upcoming "godex" ? in other threads) to prevent this sort of thing from happening:

Human Berserker, Eastern Tundra

Things went pretty well up through the boss. Got him down to within one hit, but didn't quite have enough left to take him out. I had all the Taurog equipment, but not enough piety to get death protection. I notice the Glowing Guardian altar and decide to desecrate it so I can get the extra piety I need for DP and the boss kill.

Glowing Guardian says "hmm let's remove all those mundane items you've got, that ought to teach you" and of course, now my 25 piety can no longer get the death protection boon from Taurog, since the full equipment set is required. So note carefully those who aren't aware: desecrating GG's altar rids you of all your items. I can't wait to see what the others' punishments are... :?
Jaxzar, Dwarf Rogue
Jaxzar

Postby Zaratustra on Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:30 am

The golem dungeon is killing me.

Maybe the witch could stock potions against weakness and corrosion, as well?
Zaratustra

Postby FDru on Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:05 am

FDru

Postby q 3 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:43 am

If you kill all the visible poison and mana burn plants right before each level up, those dungeons become a lot more manageable. Remember, you don't have to kill them all - just enough of them to get through. The rock dungeon was harder than most of the other hard dungeons, though, IMO.

GG's desecration punishment is probably the harshest of the lot; it's the only one that's almost certain to have a nasty impact on any player. The other deities' punishments can be completely ignored depending on your circumstances, especially when all that's left is the boss and you just need a little bit more to finish it off.
q 3

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons