[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Good Ideas

Good Ideas

All things Desktop Dungeons

Good Ideas

Postby Alweth on Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:07 pm

Some things I'd like to see in DD by its release:

- Confirm on killing yourself. Given that you almost always technically know if you're about to die, the game should ask you if you're sure you want to do that, since most of the time it's probably a misclick.

- Along the previous line, it should only say DEATH if that's actually what's going to happen. Otherwise it should say "DEATH PROTECTION" or "SAVED FROM DEATH" or something.

- Please display damage numbers. Calculating them yourself is often a hassle.

- More detailed in-game information (ie. all of it). Given that this game is entirely based around careful analysis of the situation, I shouldn't have to go to a player-made site to find out key information like, what a god likes and dislikes.

- More incentive to replay dungeons with different classes. There are many ways that this can be done. One idea, that I think should be implemented is from http://www.qcfdesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=263&start=10#p1392: Beating a dungeon should give you a reward bonus inversely proportional to how often that class has been used.
Were you expecting a coherent message? Alweth does not deal with such trifles. Ignore him or watch the thread get locked!
Alweth

Re: Good Ideas

Postby Alweth on Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:46 am

Another one:

- The race and class selection for dungeons looks really poor. The first time I saw it, I thought it was a bug. When selecting race and class only the buttons that provide a race or class should be visible, and the town image in the background should darken, to emphasis that something has changed and you're choosing something. Or you could completely rework the whole thing, but as it is now it's simply too small of a change in the visual appearance.
Were you expecting a coherent message? Alweth does not deal with such trifles. Ignore him or watch the thread get locked!
Alweth

Postby Alweth on Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:15 am

- A dungeon (or dungeons) where you can see the whole dungeon from the beginning. May or may not need an additional life/mana-gain mechanic.
Alweth

Postby Deadman on Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:34 am

Deadman

Postby q 3 on Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:58 am

I agree with pretty much all of these.

I'm not sure how a dungeon where everything is already explored would work, but if it works, great. It sounds like it would be more of a puzzle dungeon, though. More puzzle dungeons would of course be welcome. (I think it would be awesome if players could design their own puzzles and share them with the community.)

One thing that might improve the dungeon preparation interface would be to make it less linear, I think. Right now it's a five stage process: you leave town, you select a dungeon, then you go back to town to select a race, then select a class, then select items. In the alpha, it was a two stage process: you select a race and a class simultaneously, then select a dungeon. I think the order from the alpha would still work quite well here; when you select "go adventuring," instead of going immediately to the map screen you instead are asked to select a race and class (both selections being made simultaneously, as in the alpha), then select items, then go to the map screen to select a dungeon. Maybe include a small box on the map screen with a brief summary of the character you've chosen and the option to go back and change things. As it is now, there's a lot of back and forth and some parts of it just seem backwards to me (e.g., I almost always think about what class I want to play first, and only then think about what race would best fit that class).
q 3

Postby Alweth on Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:26 pm

Alweth

Postby pakoito on Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:49 pm

pakoito

Postby pjw on Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:44 am

Just wanted to agree with all the ideas in the first post, especially the "are you sure?" prompt. :)
Making games is like making hotdogs - its messy, scary, and not at all like enjoying the end product. -Sigma-X
pjw

Postby Alweth on Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:23 am

Alweth

Postby Zalminen on Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:30 pm

Currently the building screens show the enabled Upgrade button if the building can be upgraded and the disabled Upgrade button when there are no more upgrades.
This is annoying because you need to check separately if you have enough money to upgrade. And if there are no more possible upgrades, why is the button even there anymore?

Suggested improvement:
Show the enabled button if there's an upgrade and you have enough money.
Show the disabled button if there's an upgrade and you don't have enough money yet.
Remove the button altogether if there are no more possible upgrades.

Even better would be if you could also see which buildings you can still upgrade directly in the main screen (e.g. building marked by a * symbol or something).
Zalminen

Return to Desktop Dungeons