[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Sorcerer's and BLUDTUPOWA

Sorcerer's and BLUDTUPOWA

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Sorcerer's and BLUDTUPOWA

Postby Lujo on Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:17 pm

And it was a good point.

25 chars.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Wargasm on Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:43 pm

Internet keeps dying every five minutes, this has failed to post 4 times now. Basically, I bring Wizard up because it feels the solution is more "total redesign" than "small change to be patched in later." In various ways, Paladin, Thief, Assassin, Sorcerer, and Bloodmage are all better casters by default or can be played as better casters. Even Fighter is probably better because ramping up level early is great for BURNDAYRAZ. I'll try to go into more detail next time I have a stable connection.
Wargasm

Postby Darvin on Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:28 am

Darvin

Postby q 3 on Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:34 am

How about Wizards get double the effectiveness of burning? Either +2 burning with each hit, or a cap of 2*level, or maybe even both. Would tie in well to the Wizard's efficiency and would also reduce his penalty from being at a lower level.
q 3

Postby TigerKnee on Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:43 am

TigerKnee

Postby Wargasm on Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:28 am

Wargasm

Postby Darvin on Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:24 am

Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:35 am

I like the burning idea. Giving him extra burning or extra effect from burning would teach a hard concept and make him a better class.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Wargasm on Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:37 am

Yeah, I'm all for any kind of sane bonus versus Burning targets. Does more to make that status matter, helps teach its uses, and gives the Wizard a clear role are a caster like Sorcerer (gish) and Bloodmage (able to almost or totally avoid melee) have. +1 damage/level vs. burning, or even +10-20% of the (post-nerf) melee damage, to give the melee nerf a viable mechanical reason on top of flavour. Or even just a straight +20% damage vs. burning targets, like how Assassin gets +40% melee vs. poisoned.

Darvin: My point is that Paladins can get access to more mana than Wizards, which means unless you're using PISORF over BURNDAYRAZ, the Paladin can cast as many or more spells than the Wizard. Without the Wizard having a damage increase or something, this means the Paladin can match the Wizard as a caster AND still be seven times better at melee. Now yes, a third tier class should be at least slightly better than a first tier class, but it means in most cases the only advantages Wizard has over Paladin even as a caster is smaller glyphs and getting Magnet prep for free (and without violating Purist badge.) Neither of those are even direct caster benefits so much as badge earning benefits.
Wargasm

Postby Darvin on Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:58 am

Darvin

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons