[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Behind the scenes

Behind the scenes

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Behind the scenes

Postby The Avatar on Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:37 am

Any abusive GG worshipper=only way to get packmaster.

Since we all want him so much, why don't we make him the special edition character?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Kuranes on Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:53 am

Just to be certain: The Packmaster is he a special or previously planned god or what? The name just doesn't ring any bells for me.
"Which farm animal is featured prominently in Desktop Dungeons?" "Snakes"
Kuranes

Postby Darvin on Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:55 pm

The Packmaster has his humble origins as nothing more than a typo which the entire community found so endearing that they built a forum-only deity concept around him. It's unlikely we'll ever see him in-game, though I'm still hoping to see him immortalized in a Packmaster altar subdungeon.

It is my understanding that there was a 10th deity in the alpha ("Glitterfingers") who focused on gold-related boons, but this proved too narrow and he just got merged with Tikki Tooki.
Darvin

Postby Kuranes on Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:57 pm

Thank you for making me aware of that thread. It gave me a good laugh, and the Packmaster another follower.
"Which farm animal is featured prominently in Desktop Dungeons?" "Snakes"
Kuranes

Postby Fran on Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:09 am

Fran

Postby Nandrew on Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:15 am

Yeah, I'd say the former would be the more likely of the two. :P
Nandrew

Postby Lujo on Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:01 pm

Deification and scripture making is really big on typos, so Packmaster's origins are factualy legit as far as a god coming into egsistence goes.

Heck, you'd be amazed just how much of what we call the Bible now came to be because of typo's. I find the subject fascnating, so here's a bit of info: since judeaic (or arameic or whichevertheone it was) didn't allow for either word/sentence parsing, or writing down vowels, and neither did a lot of other languages, when they transcribed the gospels into anciant greek, right at the begginging when it wasn't that big of a religion, the "blind idiot translation" or the google translate syndrome hit the text rather badly.

Not to mention that back in middle ages the stuff was recited and transcribed by hand in the monastic system, so God alone knows how much of the stuff christians believe theese days came to be because someone was as bit blind, or a bit deaf, or had shaky fingers, or the guy who read it couldn't make out the handwriting or parse it correctly or... If Jesus came back and went through the thing he'd be going: "I said WHAT?" or "I did't WHAT?" quite a lot probably.

Heck, the name "Jahweh" used to be spelled "JHVH" if I remember correctly, so noone's really sure about what the flaming bush told Moses, or was it actually a bush, not to get into the whole "apple tree" in a legend coming from a people who most likely never ever saw an apple tree. In the language of the Slavic peoples, god was written as "G" in sacred texts, and "Isus" (Jesus) as "Iss" or "ss" - officialy not to blaspheme against the name of their god, and unofficially because they couldn't be bothered to write it a million times. Apparently Jesus wasn't even his name, but Joshua of some kind. So, Packmaster, yeah, as legit as they come, really :)
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Sidestepper on Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:22 pm

I will not be satisfied until there is a real life church of Packmaster that I can go to. I've already begun the project by building an altar to Packmaster in my bedroom. It's locker laid flat on the ground, which was intended to be an interim solution, but I now realize that it is exactly what a Packmaster altar should be.
Sidestepper

Postby Darvin on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:25 pm

Perhaps the Packmaster is an up-and-comer interested on joining the pantheon, and is sitting in a sub-dungeon offering to give you alchemy scrolls in exchange for piety?
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:03 pm

Not to blow my horn or anything, but the original typo, or manifestation, came like a day after I've stepped off the "we need an inventory management + gold utility deity, I'd worship one" campaign. so the up-and-comer sort of was called into being by a percieved unfilled space in the belief system. And the typo, ofc :D

Not that he needs to be a proper god or anything, god would that be broken. However, a alch-scroll giving subdungeon could include a mock-altar. And the "tons of gold" subdungeon could include one for Glitterfinger. Just for flavour reasons. And the church could say - "except Glitterfinger and Packmaster, those are silly gods" :)
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons