[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Bring back the platemail?

Bring back the platemail?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Bring back the platemail?

Postby Tukituki1234 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:50 pm

As much as I realize that the platemail may have been a bit too powerful before the Slow debuff (for Veterans at lest, not myself), now i think the platemail is rediculously under-powered especially for the fighter gold challenge. I feel as if i don't even want to attempt the fighter anymore, and i don't understand why the platemail received that large of a debuff. Any feedback about why this happened or how I can do better on my slow fighter would be greatly appreciated! Would there be any way that this action would be undone?
Tukituki1234

Re: Bring back the platemail?

Postby Darvin on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:28 pm

I think the platemail nerf was chosen more thematically than anything. The slow effect works beautifully from the conceptual point of view, but it certainly was an overnerf.

Platemail was definitely far too powerful in its earlier form, and there was little reason to prepare anything else. That on its own means drastic action was justified. It's now a below-average item and not really locker worthy, but it's still decent and I do purchase it in-dungeon, particularly for taking down monsters like meatmen.

Really, if you're been around long enough, the same thing happened to the venom sword, trisword, dragonshield, mage plate, and avatar's symbol. They all had it coming, and some of them are still quite powerful in spite of drastic nerfs, and they will certainly never see their former glory.
Darvin

Postby Blovski on Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:51 pm

IIRC some of the forumites suggested slow as a debuff?

I'd rather have just seen the effect reduced a bit. Then again, Slow's tied to the RBS as well, which is much weaker than Platemail...
Blovski

Postby q 3 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:19 pm

Eh, I still find the Platemail to be one of the most valuable purchases in a dungeon, far more desirable in most cases than, say, the health pendant or the venom dagger. You just have to figure out when to buy it; pick it up after you've cleared out all the monsters that can inflict debuffs and it's hardly a penalty at all.

As a prep, sure, it's fairly mediocre, but then again most shop items are mediocre preps. (And it can still be devastatingly powerful as a prep if you build your strategy around it.) It probably could stand to be modified a bit to be more useful at low levels - say, giving +3 DR per level with a cap of 20, or something like a flat +15 DR regardless of level. Buff the RBS a bit, say to 35% or 40% pierce, and you'll have a pretty sweet combo. (It would also be handy if there were some way of acquiring the RBS other than as a blacksmith prep; I'd be thrilled to have it as a shop item.)
q 3

Postby Darvin on Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:22 pm

Darvin

Postby Tukituki1234 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:16 pm

I'm sorry if I sound like I know nothing about this game and all of it's various strategies, but i really don't. I realize that the 2dr per level may have been overpowered but I still wasn't able to even get close to the Trisword. Now that this debuff is there, I'm that much further away. Any suggestions on how to overcome this would be greatly appreciated as I would love to be able to use the trisword. I also like the idea of the 3dr or the flat 15.

On a completely different note, any suggestions on how to obtain the battlemage ring? I can't seem to beat it with any classes =( Im a complete noob I know haha
Tukituki1234

Postby Darvin on Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:08 pm

Darvin

Postby Nandrew on Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:01 am

Nandrew

Postby Fran on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:35 am

Fran

Return to Desktop Dungeons