[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Frustrated

Frustrated

All things Desktop Dungeons

Frustrated

Postby Gavster on Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:10 pm

Hi,

I think the game is brilliant fun and is very well balanced for a random map generator game.

Where i think its a bit unbalanced is:

1) My first issue is gold. The alpha version for gold runs was quite quick and easy. This feels slow and arduous. This is my major concern as i've unlocked level 3 buildings and level 3 witch and now it seems like to finish the hard levels i need to get more gold and its just so painstakingly annoying doing levels for the gold. Its a reason why i wont play as much.
Suggested Change: Add +1 gold pile in dungeon for every 5 characters completing a dungeon. It worked well for the previous alpha version.

2) To finish a map with the monk takes so much longer and again feels slow. Not really sure how thats workable though. Hes a cumbersome character.

3) The difficulty of the challenge quests and the explorers guild is ridiculous. While i like a bit of intellect in games, too much just feels like its work. It might be alright for people with an engineering degree but i've finished one explorers guild quest.

4) I cant read the script for piety/gold - it might be my flash player which i'll update and see.

These are my opinions and its up to the developers where they want to go with it. The gold issue will see me playing alot less. It also feels rather tiresome quest wise after unlocking the witch and the characters - like i get all these goodies constantly then.. nothing.

Anyway, good game!
Gavster

Re: Frustrated

Postby dislekcia on Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:17 pm

Hi, thanks for the feedback, couple of clarifying questions:

How far are you in the story progression? Gold is intended to become a pain point as the story develops, but it does get better. Also, gold pickups in dungeon aren't a major source of income anymore - it's all about the monster trophies. If you haven't finished the story yet, chances are that some trophies have a higher value than the ones you keep bringing back, check your Taxidermist to give you an idea of where to go adventuring for better rewards :)

What is it about the Monk's play that makes it feel slow? He has the same amount of regeneration space as everyone else - if you're noticing a slowdown due to slow regen exploration, it probably means that there's lots of health going to waste with other characters (Unless I'm reading the feedback wrong, which is quite possible).

The difficulty of most of the game is ridiculous ;) But we're trying to make it more approachable without ruining the joy of figuring out those frustrating levels. If you wouldn't mind elaborating on what feels confusing, maybe we can figure out ways to ameliorate the negative feeling of it... Do you have similar problems with the god puzzles? Those have hints in them.

Can you take a screenshot of the unreadable text for me please? That would be useful :)
dislekcia

Postby Darvin on Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:27 pm

Darvin

Postby q 3 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:17 am

On the issue of gold progression, I do think the level 3 class buildings are overpriced. Perhaps they could be split into four tiers, with a much cheaper lv 3 unlocking the class, but not unlocking the new glyphs for other classes until level 4. (Which would be similar to the alpha's progression. You could even discount the level 4 upgrade once you clear that class' challenge(s).)
q 3

Postby TigerKnee on Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:20 am

Well the Monk takes twice as many clicks to kill stuff compared to other classes (uh, I guess Rogues take less clicks).

In general it's a very slow, methodological class to play. If you want something fast and fun, try Sorcerer.
TigerKnee

Postby Gavster on Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:27 am

And then i unlock the perpetual questing initiative. Good work on the dealing with the gold slump guys. Your foresight is the best.
Gavster

Postby Sidestepper on Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:14 pm

If you just got PQI, then that means that your problem has been Horatio's acts of economic sabotage. Your trophies are probably worth a mere 75 gold right now. This problem goes away once you kill Horatio. I'd do this ASAP. Check out the Gaan Telet icon on your map. It will tell you what you need to do to confront him.
Sidestepper

Postby FDru on Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:14 pm

I had gold problems til I beat Horatio. I was afraid because I had this idea that Gaan'Telet was actually hard, but it actually isn't and I snoozed my way through it in one try with a Dwarf Bloodmage, and I had about 20 more blood pools left to drink.
FDru

Postby dislekcia on Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:01 pm

dislekcia

Postby Gavster on Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:42 pm

OK so the gold issue was quite short term.
The monk feels a bit slow but just getting over the initial hump of him as a new character to use made the difference.

The silver badges troubled me some until I was getting decent at hard levels.
-- still to do the thief and priest though.
The god puzzles I will revisit, I'm trying to do the half ling and gnomes and its frustrated as anything. So are the god puzzles, even with hints. :p when I lose a puzzle, the load screen takes a while and takes me back to kingdom view - I'd prefer a restart/surrender option after failing. The other issue I have is that there only is one or two ways to do the puzzles and an insane amount of moves for such a simple looking play through. Not realising the one thing I'm doing wrong irks the crap outta me. ;)

It is very fun cluing onto better ways to progress through dungeons. I can't imagine the learning curve without using Wikipedia and the playthroughs.
Gavster

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons