Using Slayer Wand

All things Desktop Dungeons

Using Slayer Wand

Postby DirtStar on Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:42 am

Hello, just started playing and I can't seem to figure out how to use the Slayer wand. Sorry if this was answered somewhere else, I couldn't find it. I've tried dragging it on to enemies, dragging it onto myself, clicking it, using the hotkey, nothing seems to activate it. Can anyone please tell me how?
DirtStar

Re: Using Slayer Wand

Postby Nandrew on Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:59 am

Hmm, do you see the sparkle animation begin to play when you click on it?

The intended function is click on Slayer Wand -> click on enemy -> boom!
Nandrew

Postby dislekcia on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:02 am

I should probably make dragging items onto targets work as well though... Just not super-sure how great that will be eventually: What if people keep dragging glyphs onto targets? That would feel pretty tedious.
dislekcia

Postby Darvin on Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:33 pm

It seems the sparkle animation doesn't appear when you activate a glyph or target item. I don't know if that's new as of this morning or if it just started for me, because I definitely would have noticed this over the weekend if it was happening then.
Darvin

Postby Prezombie on Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:55 pm

It's one of the minor bugs that are currently being resolved, they should be visible if you're in firefox.

Anyway, would anyone like to talk about what good the wand is? a few experience points in the rare event where you need a level up and are out of other ways to heal up seems like a poor choice over a small item bonus attack %.

I think that if all the blacksmith items were small, it would make the choice vary much more.
Prezombie

Postby The Avatar on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:10 pm

It's mostly used for curse removal, or removal of particularly nasty enemies (We're looking at you, Dragon Guard). Overall, it's a mediocre prep, but at least it's inexpensive.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:34 pm

It used to be really good when you could know out higher-level monsters early. Now that it's a pretty hefty XP loss it's just not worth lugging around. It's for knocking out the dragon guards on Dragon Isles and nothing else in my view. Better to take a shield for some early meatmen kills, a sword for transmutation scroll gold gimmicks, or a perseverance badge for a fairly potent boost from a small-sized item.
Darvin

Postby q 3 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:07 am

It's a one-off Swift Hands for non-Assassins. Seeing as Swift Hands is (arguably?) the most powerful skill in the game, it's pretty handy.

That said, I never prep it. There are a couple of subdungeons that provide one or two of them, though, and I'm nearly always happy to find them. (Unless I'm an Assassin.)

(What I'd really like to see is a Blacksmith Shop in dungeons. We have one for potions, most the blacksmith items show up randomly in subdungeons anyway, and it would be nice to have a way to acquire the RBS other than prepping it. It would also help to illustrate how unbalanced some of the blacksmith items are...)
q 3

Postby Darvin on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:51 am

RBS would be awesome if it could be purchased, and the perseverance badge would be a great standby. Shield and Sword are so horrifically overpriced I can't imagine anyone ever considering buying them in-dungeon.
Darvin

Postby TigerKnee on Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:35 am

I would say Slayer Wand's advantage over its competitors in the Blacksmith is its 5 gold cost.
TigerKnee

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons