[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - No extra boss for moster whistle?

No extra boss for moster whistle?

All things Desktop Dungeons

No extra boss for moster whistle?

Postby subanark on Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:18 pm

It seems the monster whistle is probably underused. I was hoping to get an extra boss for using it at level 10, but all I got was a regular level 10 monster. Oh well.
subanark

Re: No extra boss for moster whistle?

Postby michal.lewtak on Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:37 pm

Maybe a new Boss Whistle?
But why would you want to summon another boss? If you have to kill the one the dungeon already has, and you feel you're able to kill any random boss, why would you want to kill another one instead of the dungeon boss? Oh, I see, for the second reward. How about a Boss Whistle that summons another completely random boss (from a pool of all the bosses you already met), and if you can kill it, you get a second reward worth 50% of its regular price (to not overuse this in easy dungeons). Or maybe a good item to take home with you. Another idea is to make it call the exact boss needed to satisfy the Taxidermist.
michal.lewtak

Postby aguydude on Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:50 pm

aguydude

Postby subanark on Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:51 pm

As for using it in earlier dungeons, I don't see a problem with getting the full reward. To balance this, just make the harder dungeons give a larger reward.
subanark

Postby dislekcia on Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:17 pm

... What a crazy idea.

I don't think we'd ever thought about what would happen if someone waited till lvl 10 to use a monster whistle.
dislekcia

Postby Deadman on Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:43 pm

Some sort of special boss that can only appear via a whistle would be AWESOME. But if you add one keep in mind that chances are the area will be fully explored and stuff >_>

While we're on the subject of things players expect to be secrets...
Whenever I see some ice that looks a bit different, I -always- cast Endiswall on it, even though at this point it seems pretty clear there's never anything trapped in the ice. Would be nice if there was though ;)
Deadman

Postby Esoteric on Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:23 pm

Ya, right after I got the 'witch in the east' quest I saw a person, possibly a witch, stuck in the ice. So I enddiswalled it, and the wall disappeared.
'Damn, killed her.'

So, redid the level a few until I saw her again, 'this time I'll be smart and melt the ice instead of blowing her up: fireball.'
Nothing.

'Hm, maybe I need to shove her out of the ice with pisorf, or shove something else into her?'
Nothing and nada.

'Okay, time to be smart. I know a way to get her out of the ice AND horrifically murder this smarmy human monk! WEYTWUT! Genius! What a dastardly puzzle!'
...aaaand, nothing.

I'd suggest either removing that block or matching player expectation in some way.
Esoteric

Postby spoomak on Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:16 pm

spoomak

Postby dislekcia on Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:01 am

You guys never played Ice Climbers, did you?
dislekcia

Postby Deadman on Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:06 am

I played the hell out of that at the local arcade back in the day
Deadman

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons