[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Overall Kingdom Completion

Overall Kingdom Completion

All things Desktop Dungeons

Overall Kingdom Completion

Postby Sidestepper on Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:15 pm

So I've been chasing the dungeon flame and the PQI flag, trying to snag a new badge or class icon each time. It's fun, but what I would really like is some kind of indicator of overall progress. Here are some ideas, starting from "kind of reasonable sounding if you don't know anything about coding" and ranging down to "might get implemented if the devs get stuck in some kind of Misery-style kidnapping scenario."

1) A simple meter: Kind of bland, but it'd be nice to know what my overall percentage is without having to tab through every dungeon.

2) Kingdom decorations: After every dungeon's worth of completion or so, the player is given some kind of garnishment for their kingdom. Like, maybe you get a statue in the town square that gets bigger and more impressive as the game goes on. Alternatively. completion thresholds unlock items from a list decorations, allowing the player to play paper-doll with his kingdom, if he is into that sort of thing.

3) Special New Game+ Style Mode: After getting 100% in a dungeon, a special mode becomes unlocked for that dungeon only. In this special just-for-fun mode, the player cannot earn gold, but is allowed to choose which altars spawn and maybe have limited control over what is in the shops. The idea is after having demonstrated total mastery over a given board, the player can now use it as a sort of playground/test lab. It'd be a lot of fun to test and develop strategies for rare combos without having to scum a billion times just to even find out if they are viable or not. It would also make demonstration runs for specific gods and items a lot easier.
Sidestepper

Re: Overall Kingdom Completion

Postby Fran on Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:50 pm

I like the second idea, but I think it should be shown in an extra screen instead of fucking up the town screen even more (I want to see that thing being finished at some time).

I think this game has made that kind of perfect if you look at the "Loot" screen:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/SoulGame/rogue-soul
(Am I allowed to post such links in here?)

A home where you place the stuff you recovered from dungeons seems like a nice way to reward players when you choose funny items for the completion of each dungeons. Make some items for class challenges and puzzles as well and you have yourself a nice reward screen for playing the game longtime without making heavy use of an achievement system.
Fran

Postby The Avatar on Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:08 am

I don't know. I think I'd have to go with number three. I want a "wizard mode" for DD. It would be interesting to see the best possible character, if all the variables turned out perfectly. Of course, you can do that in a playground version.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby dislekcia on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:09 pm

We've kicked around some ideas on rewarding completionism. There will probably be a percentage completion for each dungeon and the entire game eventually - there's sorta one in code at the moment, but we've held off on implementing it properly until the new interface is happy.

Kingdom augmentation is something that has come up multiple times, we'll see how the art is progressing on that. Don't take this as a promise of content though ;)
dislekcia

Postby Sidestepper on Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:10 pm

Sidestepper

Postby Fran on Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:18 pm

You shouldn't joke around with serious stuff like the pactmaster, at least not without some stacks of indulgence to avoid his holy wrath.
Fran

Postby The Avatar on Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:57 pm

It's okay. As long as he has a burn salve he can just smack the nearest EM altar.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Nandrew on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:45 am

I've made dating simulators before. They're *never* pretty.
Nandrew

Return to Desktop Dungeons