[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Suggestion - Warning

Suggestion - Warning

All things Desktop Dungeons

Suggestion - Warning

Postby DirtStar on Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:11 am

Hey, just recently bought the game and am really enjoying it. I've been looking over the boards and finding them very useful too. I've seen a few people suggesting things, regarding balance and flow, but if there's one thing I would want added to the game it's this:

WARNING - Are you sure you want to die?

I've had well over a dozen games end where I simply stopped paying attention for a second and accidentally clicked on a monster that was going to kill me. Sometimes it's that I'm not paying particular attention to his stats or I just click on the wrong spot (my most recent disaster was after killing one of two bosses accidentally clicking on a high level monster next to the shrine I intended to click on).

I know this is a game about planning and precision, and I know that dying is part of the fun but... losing 20-30 minutes of a successful run simply because I stopped paying attention for one second seems like excessive punishment. Especially after 20 minutes of trying to get lucky with the exact things needed on a successful run (right shrines, good monsters around the start, etc.).

Maybe it could be an option that the user can turn on and off if it's a concern that it would interrupt the flow of the game. But I think most players would appreciate a small reminder that they're about to lose an hour of their time with nothing to show for it.

Anyway. Thanks again for the great game.
DirtStar

Re: Suggestion - Warning

Postby Sidestepper on Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:20 am

This is something that comes up a lot, and we're pretty divided on it. I think that a slight majority agrees with you and wants some kind of misclick protection, the idea being that since the combat prediction clearly says "DEATH" no rational player would ever deliberately make a game ending move, sort of like how in chess you are never allowed to play your king directly into check because why would you do that.

I'm of the other camp, who thinks that the disproportionate punishment for a causal misclick is part of the game's dickish charm. I have also long lobbied the devs for an optional subscription service wherein the game sends the devs an e-mail whenever you die, prompting Nandrew to travel to your home and punch you in the face when you answer the door. Sadly, this hardcore+ mode doesn't seem to be too popular and probably won't make it into the final game.
Sidestepper

Postby Gavster on Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:06 pm

BHa. Yeah I think it might add more bulk and slow the game down a bit. Lots of things tick me off but this is like shit. I'm an idiot. And I laugh at myself.
Gavster

Postby Picotrain on Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:34 pm

My thinking on the subject is that most people who die do so accidentally. Often this is a result of a misclick. This is especially true given the nature of the game, in that it can be played while doing other things in other windows. Usually when I die, it is a direct result of a window getting closed unexpectedly or a mouse not responding. As said earlier, no rational player would willingly go against the death prediction and die unless in exteremely rare circumstances; that is, the player is prevented from reaching the exit and decides that he wants to die rather than hitting the surrender button. This situation is so unlikely that there ought to be a death warning since the majority of deaths must be unintended. I don't think that it would "slow the game down" since it happens so infrequently.
Picotrain

Postby The Avatar on Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:37 pm

I'd love if it was an option. Some people like it more hardcore, but my play style is pretty fast, so I misclick quite a bit.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Prezombie on Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:55 pm

Personally, I think death should not be a valid move at all, or at least have it be an option that can be enabled. Attempting to do so should be an invalid move, just like how many games have invisible walls keeping you from falling off a cliff.

As an aside, I would LOVE the option of having the "consume" command being dragging the item to the portrait.
Prezombie

Postby dislekcia on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:12 pm

dislekcia

Postby booooooze on Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:38 pm

booooooze

Postby Minaro on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:01 pm

Sorry for waking this up, but I'd like to voice my support for an *Option* to be warned about anything that would kill you. I just played a fully successful run in the Swamp, killed both bosses with LOTS to spare. I was just finishing up remaining monsters just for fun and/or Awards, when I accidentaly attacked a 999 damage-bush. Needless to say, I died, losing more than 30 minutes of progress despite technically already having beat the dungeon, all because I was tired. There's also the fact that *nothing* else on the map could've killed me but one of those bushes, since I was a level 10 Assassin.

I can't speak for everyone, but I know that I play DD both casually and hardcorely - Sometimes I play it just to pass the time and have some fun, often being tired and not at my full awareness, while other times I play with a passion and take on some of the more challenging quests/dungeons.

Just my 10 cents. I just find it frustrating to die like this, and frustration isn't what everyone is looking for, myself included.
Minaro

Postby xspeedballx on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:33 pm

I know I have argued fairly vehemently on this in the past so I will just drop my general bullet points.

I am against even the option.

1) Optional quality of life improvements are rarely optional. Most people don't have the self-control or rigidity to decline them.
2) To me half the game is the focus and logic it demands. Short bursts of higher brain usage(short being 20-30 minutes). This reduces the focus quite a bit.
3) The game should be focusing on teaching good behavior not supporting bad behavior. While the argument except in exceedingly rare situations(mostly cases where you are relying on luck not logic to win) you will never choose to die is not incorrect, you could start quickly making arguements for the game to give you pop up warnings on just about everything bad that could happen to you.
4) Game already has warnings, it is in the text of the monster. I know this does nothing for misclicks, but I already pointed out that I feel the games demand for focus is a good thing.

That said I have lost several vicious runs because of misclicks. I don't win a lot of vicious games so this might be more painful for me. It just causes to remind me that it DOES say vicious on it.
xspeedballx

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons