[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Avatar Symbol

All things Desktop Dungeons

Postby The Avatar on Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:07 am

I'll just say it flat out: This vicious reward is subpar. The concept is interesting, but resists are suited to a brawler while damage on kills is much more of a striker ability. To show you this isn't baseless, let's compare it to the other rewards:

Namtar's Ward: I love it. This prep is great for all classes, but especially rogues and berserkers. I prep it for most of my normal and hard runs.

Dragon Shield: Great. Probably the best prep in the game tied with the Tri-Sword. It depends on the class build.

Naga City: It's undecided. I won't compare.

I think the item needs to be much more focused in. It is mediocre for two types to builds, but good (in comparison to other preps) for none. I literally have never had a reason to prep it. Not to mention it's tied for most expensive locker item. Right what the vicious items cover are brawler (Dragon Shield), spellcaster (one of the two Naga City items), and general (Namtar's Ward, although it leans striker). We should focus the symbol on its striker side. I think just replacing the resists with +6 or so base damage. Then I'd definitely prep it.

What does everyone think?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Re: Avatar Symbol

Postby Darvin on Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:19 am

I'm totally with you on this one. Swapping the resists for base attack makes sense. It's been said before and it merits repeating: this item needs help.
Darvin

Postby Dreamdancer on Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:32 am

First try with Avatar's Symbol was awesome. Got a PQI as orc palain + ding at berserker camp.
Found Taurog early and some glyph which i could convert. The berserker boss died, when i was lvl4, second boss was a goblin who died at lvl6. I just love the combination of resists (which are always nice) and damage-buff.

Think even for a striker the resists are nice, since you can probably stand one more hit from a monster.

A flat damage bonus would really help in the beginning, but it loses some of it impact as you levelup (I mean +6 dmg, double the damage at level1 but it level10 it's only about 20% of the overall damage). Resists help always.

But on the other hand: This opinion comes from a newbie who just got his first vicious item.
Last edited by Dreamdancer on Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dreamdancer

Postby Darvin on Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:34 am

That's a fair and valid opinion. I'm interested to see if you still feel that way after you get the Dragonshield, which has double the resistance but is without the damage buff.
Darvin

Postby Dreamdancer on Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:42 am

I think i see what you mean (and i have written it myself more or less). Resists are always nice -> does the damage buff compares to 9% resists (the missing 9% from the dragon shield). Good question. Think i should look how often i actually use the damage buff. Think the big disadvantage is that the full buff can only be used 3-4 times in a dungeon (think i remember there are about 38 monsters).
Dreamdancer

Postby Lujo on Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:34 am

Well, my opinion is that a nice solution might be to remove Avatar's symbol, rename Mage Fist and make it the northern Vicious Reward, while keeping the cauldron as Naga Cauldron for the southern reward.

Stylisticaly, the symbol is a pallete swap if I remember correctly, the stats have very little sense for the "magey north" kind of reward, and the current stats make it compete with Dragonshield (and the CO charm) for the locker/prep space.

I know people hate "losing" stuff, but the symbol was not much used (ever?) compared to the other rewards, and I'd rather let it go and keep both the new ones.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:18 pm

I would use it if it had +6 or so base damage instead of resists.

Every vicious reward excepts Naga Cauldron and Namtar's Ward (?) is a palette swap.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:38 pm

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:20 pm

Namtar's Ward and the Orb of Lusory (Halls of Steel) are palette swaps, but since both are obscure items there's no clear distinction regarding which is the original and which is the copy.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:25 pm

Orb of Lusory! That's what it was...

The Avatar

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons