[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Monk - Glowing Garden Strategy (Too Strong!)

Monk - Glowing Garden Strategy (Too Strong!)

All things Desktop Dungeons

Monk - Glowing Garden Strategy (Too Strong!)

Postby sonicjyl on Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:43 am

I think this is too powerful combination.
Though i hate one of them being weaken, but for the fun i think i should bear it.
Maybe Trisword is too good for this combination, but
without trisword, it's still good enough.

Here's the strategy.

Class : Human - Monk
Preparation : Trisword, Scout : Altar, Basic potion kit
God : Glowing Garden
You can prepare more items and money beforehand and get more conversion points, but really you don't need it
because it's freaking awesome enough.

Let's go to dungeon.
First, Find Glowing Garden with least tile covered and worship her.
Then convert basic potions and all the glyphs.( You even don't need fireball here... It's way too powerful)
you get conversion point to raise attack bonus AND get some piety also.

Second, kill mobs 2 level higher. It's possible because of monk's high resistance and trisword's basic attack. (Probably do some fancy jobs by using high regeneration rate. Attack, regen, attack, regen, repeat it ...)

Third, When you get level 4,5 and converted 3,4 glyphs, your attack bonus will be -20% to 0%.
you can slice level 1 monsters under SANCTIFY, which raise piety by 5,
It's easy to make it 100 and get ENLIGHTMENT boon.

Then Finally, the game is over with ENLIGHTMENT.
The resistance is 65%, You convert all the mana potions and glyphs and attack bonus reaches 30% or higher.
Even VICIOUS level is so easy.
You just beat them off, no need to use boons, magic, potion, NOTHING.
You can regen by going subdungeons. No need to use PROTECTION boon.

Of course this strategy is bad when the boss is physical resistant,
but you can use a really big sword instead of trisword, and more fancy boon/glyph/regen skills.

With this combination, I won VICIOUS level in two tries.
First try, I scouted to find out who the boss is and the characters,
Next try, I go prepared and beat the boss.
Maybe this combination should need some touch...

P.S. Is it bug or intended that under SANCTIFY boon, your attack bonus gets lower than 100% and damage yourself?
It's somewhat ridiculous... I hit myself ??
sonicjyl

Re: Monk - Glowing Garden Strategy (Too Strong!)

Postby Wargizmo on Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:19 am

This tactic is really awesome, I actually tried it with Berserker (everything else exactly as you mentioned) and found it to be ridiculously good, the berserkers % based damage stacks so well with the integer damage of the sword. Monk would definitely be better for dungeons like indomitable though because the extra damage isn't important on Mr. 50 lives.
Wargizmo

Postby TigerKnee on Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:11 am

How does this strategy do in dungeons where weakeners/corrosive/lower resists enemies are abundant, which is Monk's main weakness?
TigerKnee

Postby Hexagon on Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:13 pm

I also get the feeling that Human Monk with GG is too powerful. My build is slightly different though - I go with agnostic collar instead of trisword, and so get Enlightened very, very early. I also take the extra sub-dungeon preparation for the extra regen. With that I've beaten two vicious dungeons first try.
Your build looks VERY strong though - I'll definitely try it out.

I'm fairly sure when your damage goes negative you don't damage yourself? (you heal your enemies when you strike them last time I tested)
Hexagon

Postby sonicjyl on Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:24 pm

sonicjyl

Postby q 3 on Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:45 pm

Why can Monks even equip swords? They're supposed to be fighting barehanded. :) I think it might be worth considering banning them, or giving the Monk only magical inventory slots.
q 3

Postby fall_ark on Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:24 am

fall_ark

Postby Wargizmo on Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:33 am

This build is pretty ridiculous... beat halls of steel/indomitable at level 6 with 100 piety left and not using a single heal.

The monk health regen is just ridiculous combined with 65% resists and massive damage from tri sword.
Wargizmo

Return to Desktop Dungeons