[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - The Deities ; Thoughts on the Final Roster

The Deities ; Thoughts on the Final Roster

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: The Deities ; Thoughts on the Final Roster

Postby q 3 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:01 pm

Or require Binlor to be unlocked first. :D

A more serious suggestion: what if there were a (small) item that let you access your deity's altar from anywhere? Being able to repeat Unstoppable Fury in a vicious subdungeon might make Taurog more versatile later on, without compromising any of the current early- to mid-game.
q 3

Postby Lujo on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:23 pm

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:08 pm

Last edited by Darvin on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:21 pm

Hmm... The beginning of the game might be a bit too tough. We've seen reports of not being able to beat normal dungeons. I wonder if there's a temporary newbie-crutch like thing. Or maybe after you've lost (retire or die) for the fifth time you get a puzzle pack to teach basic concepts. The starter pack is okay, but it doesn't cover more advanced strategy (regen fighting, mid-fight level ups, etc).
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:06 pm

There isn't enough content in the beggining to base advanced strats ON. And there IS a huge newbie crutch, it's called Taurog. It's also a massive one. And yes, the very beggining is rather rough to the average (and even above average) homo sapiens, especially so if he doesn't have a clue what ot beeline for.

Codex might actually help with some of this, depending on how exactly it works.
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:07 am

I was taking Taurog out of the picture, because the only reason that I think justifies him in his current form is the fact that he's practically a necessary crutch for players who've never played DD and aren't a natural at this game.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:32 am

Well in that case, yes, there is no real help. It also desn't help that you can't really kill to high above your level unless you know what classes to unlock for Goats and Gorgons. This lands you in the "short on popcorn" territory so you can't really discover te strat early, and so on and so forth...

We'll this was interesting: http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/ba ... -for-skill

We really ought to make a thread on "what the foo strats are". Taurog is obviously one, TT's Poison used to be a stronger one back when it was available, the potions are a mid game one, and the late game sort of quietly depend on certain stuff like Drac and the potions as well.
Lujo

Postby Minaro on Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:28 pm

Well, one of my obvious foo strategies is obviously always carrying a burn salve with me into dungeons. It can always come in handy, and is a free desecration with no drawbacks if you find EM. I think god punishments should get an overhaul overall - some are so nasty that you would *never* even consider desecrating them short of a last ditch effort (getting a blood swell from Dracul, Potions from TT etc), while others are so moot that you it's laughable. I think god punishments should always be very much noticeable, but not enough to, on it's own, cripple your entire run.

Other "easy" punishments to handle in the right circumstances are obviously Binlor - if you have no resistances - Mystera - if you're about to get Chaos Avatar from Jehora - and Dracul - if you've already obtained very large amounts of health somewhere else. All the others are all very major.
Heck, unless you've planned way ahead (picking up nothing you *need* later on) aswell as having only stuff you can consider Converting, you would never even consider Desecrating GGs altar. TT is also another one you wouldn't even consider unless you're on a last ditch effort, seeing how majorily it cripples any character, especially if you were worshopping him prior to it. Taurog is a no-brainer - no one wants to lose 40% attack bonus, that's equivelant to more than all the original attack bonus tokens you find in a dungeon or converting 4 glyphs to a human. Also a no-brainer to avoid unless you're on a last ditch stretch, as it cripples all future battles heavily (even more earlier in the game where you have fewer attack bonus sources to begin with). Jehora.. Well, first of all, the one time I did desecrate Jehora's altar I noticed that it does far more than just reduce your HP and MP to 1 like the Wiki says, I'm fairly sure it also affects some permanent values. Then again, it's a gamble that suits Jehora, but the severity of it might still be slightly out of line.

While writing this, I also came to think of an interesting scenario - What would happen if you have one or more pieces of Taurogs equipment on you when you desecrate GG? Would you be hit by Taurogs punishment ASWELL for losing his equipment?
Minaro

Postby Darvin on Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:25 pm

Darvin

Postby Lujo on Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:25 pm

(Moved to another thread, had little to do with deaities, really)
Last edited by Lujo on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lujo

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons