[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Playthrough notes

Playthrough notes

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Playthrough notes

Postby Lujo on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:22 am

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Lujo on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:04 am

Monday:

- Like: The Cha'Dylan subdungeon. So cool, and I'm so incredibly jelous of whoever Cha'Dylan is if it's a reference to someone who got a mention through purchase.

- Like: New niche trick - It never occuerd to me that you can pick up Earthmother boons from her subdungeon. Taking any but clearance is certifiable suicide, but picking up a clearance right there and then made me smile.

- Like: Also only noticed now, but the roadblock Druids in the EM subdungeon are called "Gardeners". Very pleasant!

- Like: The EM puzzle pack. A very pleasant expirience of trial, error and feature exploration, compared to the Halfling pack. Much likey. Only pack I needed help with so far was the halfling one for lvles 2 and 3.

- Big Like: The way burning and Bloody Sigil really introduced regen fighting into the early game, and how much fun and useage I'm getting out of them. Very welcome change-up from the way things were, and goes along nicely with the distinct lack of a Wraith boss haunting my earliest dungeons. :)

- Like: The purple "difficulty indications" the first set of directional dungeons acquired at some point but I noticed just now. Very nice on the part of the dev's seeing how much hinges on new players not rushing into the lion's mouth right away. Big props!
Last edited by Lujo on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lujo

Postby Dreamdancer on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:02 am

Ok, now i see the advantages of the Matyr Warps. Looks really impressive :)
Dreamdancer

Postby Lujo on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:55 am

Monday (continued, after a few more in the previous post):

- Severe Dislike: The way Pactmaker is still introduced. It still eats up a subdungeon, and you still get stuck with an externaly chosen pact, and it makes whatever run you were doing much harder unless you have previous expirience to do the counterintuitive thing and grab him after you beat the boss. I'm honestly not sure why this was never touched. Am I missing something or what?

- Enjoyed: The Mysterea puzzle pack. Quite a brainteaser that one, plus the hint seemed unclear in the second one, and was hilariously over the top on the last one. Didn't even work on the last one and I ended up doing the right thing on the off chance that "if it somehow works I'll try to work out how exactly it worked later". The solution made sense in retrospect, and that interaction is a handy bit of info to have. It felt a lot more like a nasty tutorial than a puzzle compared to the other ones (apart from the halfling one), but I guess this is how they all seem to a newbie (because here I didn't in fact posses all the mechanical info needed to solve it beforehand).

- Liked: The GG puzzles. All I have to say, and I like their flavour the best. Plus, him being the tricky stingy bastard he is, they seem to be really good at showing off all the numerous ways you can tick him off somewhere where it wouldn't cause someone's run to fail. Very nice.
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:06 pm

I totally agree on the pactmaker unlock. It's lame. It should have just one interesting subdungeon once you find all the other gods.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:27 pm

Lujo

Postby Darvin on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:03 pm

Darvin

Postby Lujo on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:09 pm

Last edited by Lujo on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:45 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:06 pm

Agreed on Den of Danger. It's a bit too cramped...
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby q 3 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:32 am

I've lately found Venture Cave to be much more cramped than I remember, too. If you adjust the Den, you'll probably need to do the Cave as well, lest they end up too similar. (I mean, they're already pretty darn similar. I still think having only one 'normal' dungeon but with sliders for size, density, and difficulty would be better...)
q 3

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons