Funny fact about reflex potions

All things Desktop Dungeons

Funny fact about reflex potions

Postby Dreamdancer on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:15 am

Don't know if this is known or not, but probably not everyone has figured it out, or it isn't even intended.

Reflex Potions give you two attack, one before and one after the most, if you aren't slowed or the monster has first strike.
There are some temporary boosters, which give a bonus to attack (all the Might stuff) or to damage (Strength potion) for one attack.
If one combines these two, the bonuses are applied to both attacks, not only the first :shock:
This gives a nice damage boost.
Dreamdancer

Re: Funny fact about reflex potions

Postby Darvin on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:23 am

Something has changed then, because I very clearly remember testing strength potion and not getting the damage on the second attack.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:28 am

The only thing I knew this worked with is knock back. Are you shire this applies to all effects.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Dreamdancer on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:32 am

I did some tests with a Gnome Warlord, Avatar Symbol, Stength pot. and Mana pot. it all stacked.
Only thnig which irritated me is that the knockback from the Bear Mace doesn't stack with the Strength pot. or any +x%. Seems the Bear Mace uses only the base damage (lvl + orc conversion, probably also items) but not the strength pot.
Dreamdancer

Postby Darvin on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:35 am

Knockback damage is based on your base attack; attack bonus does nothing for it. Technically a strength potion does apply to knockback damage, but the exact order of operations prevents this "double-dipping" unless you use PISORF (which is, to be honest, a total waste of the strength potion). Essentially, the attack damage is dealt, the strength potion expires, then the knockback damage is applied. So the strength potion's effect has already come and gone by the time the knockback damage is being calculated.
Darvin

Postby Dreamdancer on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:47 am

LEFT:
5 base damage
+20% from attack booster
MIDDLE:
+16 damage (Strength pot)
+30% Mana pot (Might equivalent)
+40% Avatars Symbol

=> 39 damage / relfex pot. *2 => 78 damge

RIGHT:
damage done to zombie: 106-28=78

@Darvin: Thanks for the clearance of knockback and strength pot.
Dreamdancer

Postby Lujo on Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:07 am

Wow, nice spot, I did not know this :)
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Dreamdancer on Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:21 am

Spotted this in Dragon Isle. Lvl9 (really 10 but from blood curse) + 1-2 transmuter conversion + a 100% Avatars Symbol. Drank the potion and attacked the last boss. After i saw how many health he lost, i looked more closely into it.
Dreamdancer

Return to Desktop Dungeons