[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Powerful Warlord build

Powerful Warlord build

All things Desktop Dungeons

Powerful Warlord build

Postby Wargizmo on Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:23 am

Premise behind this build - This build takes advantage of the new Mysteria mechanic, whereby more expensive spells (such as CYDSTEPP) now build piety with the god far quicker than they did previously. It essentially works similarly to the Paladin/Mysteria build, except instead of having a massive mana pool for healing, you now have a massive mana pool for CYDSTEPP.

Similar to the paladin build, the mana potions become ridiculously good as they're based on your total mana pool, and by the end you'll be able to cast 1-2 CYDSTEPPs per mana potion, and 3-4 with full mana. In addition you also get the benefit of the innate warlord attack bonus after consuming a mana pot. Furthermore, because most of your fighting will be done on 1 health, you'll also be getting the most out of the Warlord's "determined" ability which adds 30% attack bonus when you fight with low health.

Essentially this build takes the Warlords assortment of bizarre abilities and maximises the effectiveness of each one.

Race: Gnome. This build benefits hugely from mana pots, so gnome is easily the best choice. Convert everything, don't worry about pissing off the god because it only increases monster magic resist which you don't care about.

God: Mysteria. Constantly use the 'magic' boon to get a higher mana pool, again the magic resist doesn't matter as you'll be using your sword.

Items: By far the best item to use with this build is the Avatar Symbol (100% attack bonus when fighting with less than 25% health) but if you don't want to spend 200 gold on this prep then anything with good damage or more mana is nice. Don't bother with health though because your max health won't really matter with this build.

Preparations:
Scout: Altar is pretty much essential. Everything else is optional.

Tactics:
At the start you want to grab Mysteria worship and then spam CYDSTEPP as much as possible, if you're full on mana and already have death protaction just pick a random high level mob and let it kill you so you can cast CYDSTEPP again to build piety. Take magic boon whenever you get more than 10 piety, as you'll be pissing off the god a lot from fighting and so you don't want to lose more piety than you need to. Leave an ENDISWAL or Fireball glyph on the ground for later when you want to build piety without losing health.

Basically if everything goes perfectly you'll have about 40 mana by the time you take on the boss, enough for 4 CYDSTEPPs and you'll have a nice stockpile of mana pots for even more lives. You'll also be able to take advantage of the refreshment boon should you need even more mana, since you'll be building up piety while fighting the boss.
Wargizmo

Re: Powerful Warlord build

Postby TigerKnee on Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:54 am

Man, my suggested fix for Mystera was broken pretty qiuckly.
TigerKnee

Postby Wargizmo on Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:39 pm

Haha I don't know if this build is totally broken, I haven't tried it with any of the vicious dungeons yet, but it certainly makes the hard ones dead easy. The tri sword monk build in the other thread sounds a bit more broken.
Wargizmo

Postby q 3 on Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:41 pm

It's powerful but I don't know if it's completely broken. I was able to beat the Avatar using this strategy and only the Scout Altar preparation, on the first attempt, but if I hadn't been lucky enough to find BLUDTOPOWA very early on I don't know if it would have been successful. (BLUDTOPOWA works wonderfully with this, by the by, since not only does it double your MP regeneration it also keeps your HP at 1 so you always get the extra +30% attack.) On the other hand, I didn't have to use Refreshment even once, so...

I still think the current problems are that Gnomes get way too many mana potions and that Mysteria needs to impose some kind of restriction on fighters, like increasing monsters' phys resist.
q 3

Postby platypotamus on Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:31 pm

platypotamus

Postby Wargizmo on Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:14 pm

I think the problem is more that you can build piety so easily by just spamming spells instead of actually killing something with a spell, all the other gods actually require you to kill something to get piety.

If they changed it to work this way you could still be a melee class and worship, but you just need to be able to finish stuff off with a pisorf or a fireball in order to get a decent amount of piety. This has the added benefit that you can't just let monsters magic resist go to 100% and not care.
Wargizmo

Postby Galefury on Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:43 pm

Extremely strong build, but only really broken if you also find BLUDTUPOWA, or I guess with the Avatar's Mark. I was lucky enough to find both Mystera's Altar and BLUDTUPOWA extremely early (about 5% of the map uncovered) in a scouting game of the Demonic Library with no preparations and ended up beating it. Even with lots of sloppy playing all throughout the game. The sloppy playing meant I beat the Avatar only barely instead of rather easily. But I'm sure the build is quite a bit weaker without such ridiculous luck (BTP means double piety in the initial buildup phase, which is a lot), so I wouldn't say it's broken. A slight nerf to Gnomes or Mystera's mana gain (+1 piety cost per use?) may be in order.
Galefury

Postby platypotamus on Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:20 am

Not sure where else to put this so why not here:

Warlord + Really Big Sword is pretty nice. Since you have slow strike, if the enemy's attack takes you below half health, your strike gets the +30% damage, regardless where you were before. The damage predictor doesn't account for it, so you'll see "safe" sometimes and then the monster goes splat.
platypotamus

Postby Wargizmo on Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:23 am

Wargizmo

Return to Desktop Dungeons