[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Lame badge requirements for PQI

Lame badge requirements for PQI

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Lame badge requirements for PQI

Postby FDru on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:23 am

FDru

Postby Watcher487 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:34 am

When I got that challenge via PQI, I was literally treating it as an achievement. Something similar to what the Hardcore runners do via the 100% and stuff like that. When I figured out it was possible (I did a preempt run similar but had to cast only 1 spell, breaking the PQI.) It only took 2 more runs and it basically worked itself out.

I still haven't successfully had a run in the Library or Naga City, but I will casually attempt stuff here and there, which makes the PQI very good especially from my point of view. It allows testing and pushes capabilities within the game. Shoot, I even remember when I was trying to get Ding! in Hobbler's Hold for 2 weeks. Yeah I didn't earn any gold in the end for it, but it was still a good learning ground for me back then.
Watcher487

Postby Lujo on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:01 pm

Being able to see what quest/PQI we are on is pretty high on my "think this needs to be in" list.

Not just in-dungeon, but at the prep screen as well - I've had to abandon a run at the prep screen to go back to the adventuring map to check the required badge so I can prep for it (due to getting lost in the prep selection process). It's allso really annoying to have to wait for the badge/race boxes to replace one another gets really annoying as well.

Also - if it were possible to see what badges you're still lacking in a dungeon while you play it so you can adjust your strat on the fly is another thing high on my "needs to be in there" list.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:28 pm

Doing puzzle changes PQI (a bug), but they might have fixed it.

The unfortunate thug about my profile is it's all slime pits and cursed oasis. I've given up on PQI.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:02 pm

If there's a specific dungeon you avoid, PQI tends to fixate on it. For me, that dungeon is Ick Swamp.

Also, Aequitas' PQI description is definitely not correct. I just got a PQI on Havensdale Bridge, and I have 100% completion there. I then caused the PQI to change and got a PQI in Creeplight Ruins, another dungeon I have 100% completion in. By Aequitas' description, this should be impossible.

As far as I'm aware, these are the ways to change the PQI:
* Beat the current PQI
* Beat the current flaming dungeon
* Exit your browser and restart the game
* Crash the game (really just a variant of the above)
* Change kingdoms, then change back
* Attempt a puzzle
Darvin

Postby q 3 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:42 pm

If PQIs were assigned different difficulty/reward categories, and maybe even if they aren't, what if two or three PQIs for different dungeons were offered at the same time?
q 3

Postby paplaukes on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:25 am

PQI is a fun idea but rarely works for me. I'll just write my impressions why, not really a complaint.

The way I played the game so far, I unlocked most of the places by doing them in class/race/prep combinations I'm good at, probably after multiple tries. So I'm comfortable in, say, Doubledoom/Grim's Grotto, have 1 to 4 wins in further away places (Shifting Passages, Labyrinth, Bridge) after many tries/best preparations, but I get sent to magma mines where I'm not even going after the 2 quests I have, or Cursed Oasis or Icks Swamp. It's way out of my comfort zone. I realise that's probably the idea, but I mean, the places are out of my comfort zone already, I don't really want to try for a purist/godless/parched halfling fighter there. The reward just won't cover the costs.

Ideally PQI should keep it challenging but within reach, basing the difficulty level on players' successes and failures and on badge/dungeon difficulty. I'd dare try Doubledoom as purist, not Ick's Swamp yet. I'd dare do the labyrinth with a non ideal race/class combination, not Magma mines. etc. If it's just random, alright, as long as the seemingly impossible PQI would stop taunting me and change after 3-5 dungeon runs :) Yeah I just leave DD running pretty much for days :)

And, uh, I just logged in and saw the current PQI... It's really not supporting my post at all. BRB - running a parched gnome berserker in Hobbler's Hold... ;)
paplaukes

Postby Lujo on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:45 am

I feel like I have to chime in here because it ties up with something I've been warning about in the writeups. Especially as I've been doing a lot more flaming dungeon runs than PQI runs while grinding gold in the crashstorm.

The thing with PQI sending you into certain places (edit) IS amplified by the fact that there is really little incentive to go into certain places. I don't like Magma Mines or Berserker Camp as such, but those places have 2 quests which have you completing them with at lest 4 classes. The penultimate directionals (like Labyrinth) also have quests in them. Slime Pits and Cursed Oasis don't have quests, so they naturaly end up as PQI magnets.

But since they've never had questlines, they were never moaned about as much as Magma Mines or Berserker Camp, so they never got nerfed. Old magma mines where probably the reason for my first agressive textbombing on the forums, and the old Berserker Camp was also a subject of much frustration. They were nerfed to the point of non-recogintion (Berserker Camp by completely remaking it and changing the relevant quest, and Magma Mines caused a landslide of changes all over the game that went on for ages). And once you get familiar with them through the quests now, a PQI run there isn't so scary or annoying.

Slime Pits got it's monk quest removed, and as far as I know noone ever went there for any other reason, and the CO was added to the game really really recently and probably wasn't properly tested. Since neither of them have questlines, I always reach PQI with 0% completion in them, and since I don't want to do trickshots in dungeons which are still unfamiliar after a year of playing, I just avoid doing them unelss the PQI lines me up perfect setup. (edit: and I can tell what the perfect setup for Slime Pits is more or less, but CO is a mystery)

So I reiterate my plea to add questlines to Slime Pits and Cursed Oasis, just "Complete with 4 classes" ones like in Magma Mines and Berserker camp - this will serve to provide feedback from anyone trying to do the quests, and allow people to reach PQI with at least nearly as much completion as in other places.
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:16 pm

I think they might need nerfs too, but with so little testing who knows?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:13 pm

Exactly!

I mean, the Slime Pits might not even need too many nerfs if any - but noone's ever felt like walking in there and doing a non-trickshot run so we don't know!
Lujo

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons