Suggestion regarding a bunch of related issues - serious

All things Desktop Dungeons

Suggestion regarding a bunch of related issues - serious

Postby Lujo on Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:24 pm

Ok, so I came up with a suggestion to kill several birds with one shotgun blast.

Issue 1) CO and SP don't have quests, and it's causing testing, balancing and PQI issues.

We got quite a bit of consensus that they need quests, and are sort of taking it for granted that the devs will add the "complete with any 4 classes - get handed an item" ones.

Issue 2) If they do this what item?

Well, the +9% res both charm for the oasis and the Naga Cauldron for the pits is also the consensus more or less.

Issue 3) But what about power concerns with the CO charm?

Now this is where it gets tricky and hits something else I have a really, really serious issue with. As well as a suggestion, ofc.

If the devs made the +9% both item shopworthy but LARGE, that would be all the balancing, provided they finaly nerf Drac - by adding a damned item to his +15% res both boon simmilar to Taurog's gear. This would go a long way towards balancing Drac (a bit) and making %res stacking a fully inventory management based proposition. The way it is right now, with Drac handing out +15% res both for only 40 piety, and Taurog giving +15% res both for 50 mana, two MP and 2 inventory slots is just terrible.

So the new res stacking item lineup would potentially consist of tower shield, elven boots, two taurog pieces, 1 drac piece, CO charm and Dragonshield, and could not easily be crammed into any inventory. As long as they are all large items, ofc.

Please, do this, devs. And please comment upon this, everyone, so we can talk the devs into doing this.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Re: Suggestion regarding a bunch of related issues - serious

Postby Darvin on Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:45 pm

The big concern with resistance items is always resistance-stacking. As stand-alone items they're actually quite mediocre. There's never been a great answer to this problem, sadly.

For Dracul, the Blood Shield boon is tricky. The guy is still a piety miser so 40 piety is a pretty big investment (less intensive than 50 piety when worshipping Taurog), and resistance stackers run into troubles with blood hunger which is one of his primary piety generators. Dracul as a whole package needs to be looked at, because the pieces have been designed so they don't work perfectly together.
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:10 pm

I know, but taken on their own they work quite a bit too good. And Drac is not that stingy even if you forgo the lifesteal - because if you take the lifesteal he's a piety farm. True story, I've been doing it lately.

But and if you're going res stacker, you'll almost always have enough piety to pick bloodshield up - right now it's the resist stacking combo piece, and it's small wonder that I shoot for it rather than the taurog's gear at every opportunity where I decid I don't need both.
Lujo

Postby Sidestepper on Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:08 pm

I think I would rather have the Cursed Oasis quest provide some sort of curse-related item. There isn't one yet. I think that a Soul Orb for Curse would be too good, but maybe a small item that purges one curse stack per level up would be okay.
Sidestepper

Postby The Avatar on Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:12 pm

Or maybe takes off an additional curse when you kill a higher level monster. A blessed blade. Not too great for when you're cleaning up popcorn, but good overall.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:21 pm

As long as it's a small item then. Immunity to curse would be too good.
Lujo

Return to Desktop Dungeons