[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Namtar's Lair and Naga City

Namtar's Lair and Naga City

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Namtar's Lair and Naga City

Postby Sidestepper on Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:24 am

Now that you've got the basics, experiment with simple variants. Dragon Shield is strictly better than DG in this case, because it stacks multiplicatively with the health and resistances from Glowing Guardian. Patches is like a DIY Thief Kit and has flat superiority to Black Market if you can stand the consequences (definitely convert the bear before going into the arena). HALPMEH is probably better than Fireball but is a bit harder to start with (I would start with Fireball and milk the burnt offering bonus, and switch to HALPMEH later). The classic CYDSTEP Rogue doesn't work as well here, because that strategy works by exploiting the Rogue's low health, and we are making a Rogue with more health than a Dwarven Priest.

From there, you should try Blovski's "Healthmonster" Dwarven Paladin strategy. It's also a monotheistic GG strategy that uses the Fireheart to leverage your health. It's a bit trickier to pull off, but it's cool to see a health build actually work in a VICIOUS setting.
Sidestepper

Postby Blovski on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:19 pm

Another easy one (tested today) is to start with the Taurogzerker and then switch to Glowing Guardian underground.
I went for Orc, Dragon Shield, Patches, Fewer Glyphs, Transloc, fancy potions and Taurog. In retrospect, Compression is probably the better seal and Viper Ward would be my item of choice if I didn't have Dragon Shield.

Basically play the overground as your regular Taurogzerker, convert all glyphs if you like, though if you're not as confident or fussed about badges then keep one of Halpme, Lemissi or Getindare if you find it. Pray for Taurog's items, pick up the sword but don't rush for the others unless you're already done with buying stuff up and converting it. Grab a death protection. Anyway, don't worry if you can't clear the overground without chugging potions or taking corrosion, get near to a level-up and then head downstairs. You'll probably have around 100 damage or more, a goodish number of hit points and 65% MR and 15-30% PR.

Downstairs regen fight to take out a wussy boss like Aequitas or flatten Tomithy or someone like that with reflex, Quicksilver and strength potions (Curse is not good, clear it immediately with popcorn). After you've knocked out one you can unlock Golden Guardian, convert and use Cleansing and Whupaz to flatten Goo, you can probably just regen fight TS and if you finish a wave poisoned Cleansing can clear that. Most bosses you can regen fight to death happily. Feel free to convert Taurog's Helm, as an orc it's not a big net loss in attack power in exchange for the extra bead-space or using Yendor or something. I recommend the pact that gives you overheal on level up, since you'll get a couple anyway and you can Yendor for another. Throw in protections and/or healing potions (desecrate Earthmother for piety and indulgences if you have to) and you should win comfortably. Alternatively you could play it like the old-school Naga City and do a consensus-swap to Dracul for blood swells once the poisoners and physical resistance enemies are down.

My favourite sneaky combo synergy trick in this is that once you hit level 10 as a berserker you lose your +20% attack bonus vs higher level enemies BUT with Golden Guardian you can use humility to drop back to level 9 and keep it against the bosses. Which is the only specific use for high-level humility I've found yet.

I got Warmonger and Feeling Parched with ten or fifteen tiles to spare and no conversion into Drac, if you keep a glyph or use indulgence-based healing potions there's a huge margin for error here.

Blovski

Postby Darvin on Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:38 pm

Darvin

Postby Lujo on Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Is there ever any situation where Fewer Gylphs is prefferable to More Glyphs? Because I can't think of one - you'll never convert all your glyphs, so I'm willing to bet you get more CP from More Glyphs anyway, plus all the piety perks (with Taurog, GG and refreshment). It's a pro tip that More glyphs is actually a piety boosting prep first and foremost...

Possibly wizards because you can find all the glyphs before you start converting? You'd need to be somewhere where there's a lot of junk like spoons to make it work even then...
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:06 pm

Darvin

Postby Lujo on Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:16 pm

Lujo

Postby Blovski on Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:09 pm

Blovski

Postby Darvin on Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:14 pm

Darvin

Postby Sidestepper on Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:57 pm

Patches is one of those preps that simultaneously increases your average success rate AND your individual failure rate. I wouldn't take him if I had to bet the house on a single game, but I would take him if I had to bet the house on a 5-of-9 game set.

When he's being a good bear, it's like bolting the Thief's powerup special onto your character. When he's a bad bear, he mana burns your Warlord FIVE... TIMES... IN... A... ROW, or (my personal favorite) he uses his teleport power to reenact The Cask of Amontillado using an immured dungeon staircase.

"For the love of Jehora, Patches!"

"Yes, for the love of Jehora!"
Sidestepper

Postby Lujo on Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:00 pm

Lujo

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons