Suggestion: Random Class/Race Selection

All things Desktop Dungeons

Suggestion: Random Class/Race Selection

Postby bla0815 on Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:45 pm

Right now i select a dungeon and then i choose an appropiate character. Given the choice it just feels awkward to take something like a halfling rouge. It's not that i don't want to play a halfling rouge at all, but i rarely feel like making an inferior choice right at the moment i have to choose.

This would change alot if those strange combinations would be given by the game. I would view this as a challenge instead of a dumb move. I know it's just psychological, but it would have a refreshening effect for the casual dungeon runs for me.
One could also incentivise going random with a slight starting gold benefit, starting piety or instant Jehora Jeheyu worship. In beta this could increase the play of less effective combinations in order to find more bugs.

(actually halfling rouges make half decent use of reflex potions, if you survive one hit - so replace halfling rouge with any bad combination of your choice ;) )

Regards,
Julian
bla0815

Re: Suggestion: Random Class/Race Selection

Postby fall_ark on Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:18 pm

Yes, please! Maybe also a random game button that gives you slight advantages and disadvantages that cancel each other out and don't waste money. It'd be so much better than personally deciding a dungeon then race, class, the myriads of preparation etc.. Throw the player into something unexpected!

It would also be awesome to, in the end game, give the player the choice to generate a custom dungeon -- fully customize what terrain, boss, selection of monsters, and sub-dungeons he might get. It is, after all, a form of entertainment, and sometimes I just want some mindless fun and/or carefully tailored challenge, without restarting again and again.
fall_ark

Postby michal.lewtak on Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:48 pm

I'd like a random easy, normal and hard dungeon that you have to pass with all the race/class combinations, for the completion pleasure.
The whole fun of the alpha was passing everything with everything.
michal.lewtak

Postby q 3 on Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:52 pm

A "quick pick" option on the main kingdom screen, immediately sending you into one of the normal dungeons (or the "normal" hard dungeon, a la ranked mode in the alpha) with a random race and class and no preparations, would be nice for when you really need that quick dungeoning fix.
q 3

Postby zeemeerman2 on Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:28 pm

Had that idea already in another post.

Maybe with inspiration from Gunbound: A class or race that can only be played when played Random. That class/race is a little bit stronger, yet balanced and not overpowered, and has unique skills. (e.g. attacks hit up to 2 adjacent enemies, but they do only 5% damage to them.)

*Same setup cost is the cost of the preparation of your previous run, not a "Same Setup tax".
zeemeerman2

Postby dislekcia on Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:30 am

Random selections are definitely a thing I want to add as a player myself. They'll happen, but probably once we're through all the bug-fixing that's going on at the moment.
dislekcia

Return to Desktop Dungeons