[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Gorgon Rework Idea

Gorgon Rework Idea

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Gorgon Rework Idea

Postby Lujo on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:59 pm

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:16 am

No. I don't think a fighter (my baseline) could do it and she is practically worse.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Blovski on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:37 am

I think the Gorgon is the only class that I sometimes find myself flummoxed with on Hard dungeons... never really managed to get good with her.
Blovski

Postby The Avatar on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:31 pm

Yeah. I don't really use her... ever...

Still, that's because she isn't fun to play. Cluttering the map with stuff that gets in your way is not fun.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:14 pm

gjaustin

Postby Lujo on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:22 pm

Lujo

Postby Blovski on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:27 pm

I wouldn't mind the cluttering so much - I think it could be acceptable as a penalty if it was tied to a stronger character - if it wasn't in addition to being quite weak. I imagine she'll get something back from 2x attack boosters but I haven't really seen a gorgon strat that can hold its own on vicious.

Incidentally, how do you guys play her - Dragon Shield + Binlor or something like that?
Blovski

Postby Blovski on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:59 pm

Hm, just trying her on NC with Binlor now - my main issue is that there are so many types of enemies that rattle her playstyle early on (undead, poisoners, mana burn, corrode, weaken, blink, Phys Res, magic attacks). That said, topside she's holding up alright.

Edit:

Well, beat Naga City with Binlor above and below (prepped Dragonshield, built up MR, transloc'd elven boots and bought Rock Heart, Vamp and Glenrick subdungeons)... she did very creditably against the 10-boss downstairs, found the upstairs trickier to clear than most would. I have to admit that's the first time I've used the rock heart and knockback piety to outheal Frank. Had a ton of resources to spare and bought nothing downstairs. Bit of a luck-out on the shops but stronger than I remembered her.

Will see if she can cope with the harder viciouses in due course - fear that she'll need the Soul Orb for Dragon Isles.
Blovski

Postby dislekcia on Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:16 am

@Blovski: That was rather a theme with her, Nandrew and I both felt that we'd "gotten lucky" with our shop items and it turned out that we'd gotten completely different items. Just like you did, all over again. That means that she's balanced quite interestingly, if a multitude of item combos exist that make her feel powerful to play. That's really what we like to see - and it's especially hard to create in a monster class because they're typically so far off the regular base of play anyway.
dislekcia

Postby Lujo on Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:16 am

We all know this, but you might've noticed that cramped maps are either giving us headaches or making Binlor use seem mandatory. Vampire's crazy powerfull, he can do VICIOUS Gaan'Telet faithless, not to mention at all, and we don't mind if you don't nerf him. Dragonkin's also pretty damned powerfull - he can convert for up to double damage and more, and I think noone will be bugging you about him. They're fun bragging rights reward. Gorgon's a bragging rights chore.

But I find the concept more fun and interesting than either the Vampire or the Dragonkin. She's not as powerfull as those two, yet, right now, she has to sacrifice an inventory slot AND clutters any map on her own while being "balanced" by it even though she's allready weak to curse, magic damage monsters and so on and so forth. Do you really think we're being unreasonable about this? I personally don't care if she breaks the game a bit - she can't do it much harder than the vamp, but she does stuff that'd make me want to restart a run every time she kills an enemy...

Could we at least getting the gold drops on statues? It's a built in hand of midas, I know, but then at least we can prep her for something and still get some CP benefits...
Lujo

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons