Some math about resistances

All things Desktop Dungeons

Some math about resistances

Postby Nurator on Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:25 am

I thought a bit about resistances... i dont like that you can only use 2 approaches:

1. dont take resist at all
2. take all you find

This is mainly because if you have 60% resistance and find another 10%, it is MUCH stronger than when you have 0% resistance before...

If the resistance curve would be altered, this would not happen anymore :)

Here is my idea:
Instead of resistance percentages, every item/god boon gives you a resistance rating that is cummultative.
The real resistance is computed by

resistance=rating/(40+rating)

Here is a list how that would effectively go:
0 rating -> 0% resistance
10 rating -> 20% resistance
20 rating -> 33% resistance
30 rating -> 43% resistance
40 rating -> 50% resistance
50 rating -> 56% resistance
60 rating -> 60% resistance
70 rating -> 64% resistance
80 rating -> 67% resistance
90 rating -> 69% resistance
100 rating -> 71% resistance

With this formula, the arbitrary border of 65% would be not necessary anymore. Let the stackers stack as high as they want... but to get to 80%, 150 rating is needed and so on... reaching 90% is nearly impossible (rating of 360)

It would be worth it to even use one item and everyone would be happy :D

What do you think?
Nurator

Re: Some math about resistances

Postby TigerKnee on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:07 am

Was discussed before and I seem to recall there was some talk that while most of DD's math is pretty straightforward, that having this sort of "armor rating" system that most MMOs or MOBA use would be against the spirit of the game or something.

I mean, I support this kind of change because I think straight resistances is a problem, but that's the argument as I see it.
TigerKnee

Postby paplaukes on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:32 am

Happy as is, actually. I even use the tower shield more often than not. I mean, 10% less damage taken from (probably) most of the dungeon mobs? Being able to withstand 2 shots instead of 1 from higher level mobs? Count me in :) It's not OP. Still works.

I understand ratings would somewhat even it out, but that would make it into just another -damage taken stat and convolute it (I don't want to count/convert ratings).
paplaukes

Postby Lujo on Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:50 pm

This was discussed to death, and while I think what you suggest has merit (and I liked your comment on monks), this has always been a very touchy subject. I think it has something to do with the asymptotic nature of % based damage resistance coupled with the "small numbers" nature of DD.

A long while ago it was "too late" to do anything about it, if there actualy is a solution. I'm generally staying out of these discussions on principle. I just wanted to say it's one thing where a lot of effort went into striking a compromise, such as it is, and as it currently stands nobody really wants to open this particular can of worms. Or at least I don't...

The compromise, however, seems to be - Berserker is balanced by a crippling glyph penalty where he doesn't just rule, Monk is balanced by... becoming boring after a while..., Paladin is balanced by not being as fun because of forced monotheism and Crusader is balanced by not having any starting resists and a misledaing first ability. And Gorgon is ballanced by being difficult to unlock and frustrating to play, apparently... Everybody else can't stack resists just anywhere, Body Pact can't be prepped and Binlor is there as a catch all noob-tube so anyone at all can deal with all the magic damage bosses in the generally cramped VICIOUS dungeons (as far as %res are concerned).

For everybody else, picking up just enough to survive a boss hit earlier is probably how u're supposed to lok ar %res, more or less...

It's a bit of a cynical view, I know, but when was the last time anyone saw me whining about it even if I see it that way?
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Nurator on Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:18 am

Ok I understand that you want to keep your math simple... but if the actual percentage is displayed, with the latest changes, the exact numbers are shown by the combat prediction.
So for a new player, you only need to know "better rating, better resistances!"

And if you are a vet, the game is SO complex, that this simple computation will not really disturb you...

but ok if this was discussed a thousand times, I will speak no more about it :)
Nurator

Return to Desktop Dungeons