[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Items, Items, and more Items!

Items, Items, and more Items!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Items, Items, and more Items!

Postby q 3 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:16 am

I'm still in favor of returning Trisword to something resembling its original incarnation: 20-ish base damage but it only works when your inventory is otherwise empty. (If possible, it could even be classified as a "huge" item that takes up 3+ inventory slots.) To be sure, back when there was nothing worth prepping that was a massively unbalanced; however, in the current game, prepping it would mean giving up the benefit of a Blacksmith prep, an Alchemist prep, and all potion preps, not to mention Patches, Fireball Magnet, class glyphs, and most GG and Taurog shenanigans. That seems like a pretty fair trade-off to me, and it would also make it an interesting but not overwhelming shop item.
q 3

Postby Blovski on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:03 pm

Hm, agree that Trisword, Crystal Ball and Whupaz (and to an extent Dragon Shield as well) are maybe too good but I think they have a place as crutch items. The main issue with Trisword and Crystal Ball is that a prepped one is waay better than a found one.

Maybe if a prepped one cut your starting take-in gold that'd solve that problem. I kind of think a direct nerf to the item hurts its in-dungeon-found-use, which would be a shame because they both work fine as that.
Blovski

Postby Lujo on Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:49 pm

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Lujo on Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:31 pm

And to break off from the textwall with a different issue (my post count is allready off the scale, and this is at the top ATM anyway).

Why isn't anyone mentioning what I like to think of as "the stupid potion kit"? Part of why the Tri-Sword is better as a prep then a purchase is because of the unholy trinity of STR, Dodge and Reflex potions. And they can still be used by anyone to skip the first bunch of levels, or get a spiking edge, even without the Trisword. They also incur no piety hits, and don't count for parched.

STR - Gives 15+ damage if used as soon as you walk into a dungeon. More for rogues and Tri-Sword users.

Dodge - Is autoprep for me along with Whoopaz, and I mostly use it to administer a "free" whoopaz hit, but if used early helps you spike glass cannons, especially in conjunction with STR.

Reflex - I don't prep much, because I avoid the whole set as an early game run breaker. It's arguably the worse on it's own, but does give first strike out of nowhere, and if used with Dodge is another free hit.

These 3, when picked up, are integral to "serious" Tri-Sword abuse. Shouldn't anything be done about them?
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Blovski on Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:09 pm

Absolutely - I think at the least you shouldn't be able to use potions much more powerful than the Health and Mana ones and still get parched (same applies to Schadenfreude).
Blovski

Postby The Avatar on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:06 pm

The one thing with that is it will make Complicated tasks 6 much harder (unless you find B2P).

As for the tri-sword, I have a weird yet interesting idea. What if it provided +3 damage, and could be separated (one sword at a time), for maybe 3-5 gold. Each individual one gives +3, while the tri-sword gives 1 per sword (except alone, then +3). So you either have the tri-sword (+3 damage, 1 slot), the bi-sword and sword 1, they should probably name each individual one (+5 damage, two inventory slots), or sword 1, sword 2, and sword 3 (+9, three slots). What do you think/does that make any sense?

As for the crystal ball, I think it would be best to limit the charges to two per level maybe, so it wouldn't be so unfair early game, but would be good late game. Perhaps too good late game.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby paplaukes on Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:38 pm

Just to put this into perspective - I had to look the CB up elsewhere. I don't have it unlocked, nor the 3 monster classes, even though I "finished" the game. And I don't find tri-sword all that awesome - the gold is plenty, the real trade-off to me is that you destroy the potions. I save the majority of them for boss fights, so to me tri-sword, looks like a more expensive fine sword where you get to destroy two potions and pay gold for it, except it gets better for boss fights if you lug it around that long. Something to keep in mind when you're arguing it should be nerfed further.
paplaukes

Postby The Avatar on Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:52 pm

If you think it's bad, you're not using it right. Trust me, if used correctly, or most efficiently, it is INCREDIBLY overpowered.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Naoya on Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:57 pm

The trick with Trisword is that you choose one potiontype that youre gonna discard for it. For example, Warlords don't really need their Healthpotions due to Cydstepp - so they can chug every healthpotion they find and get a huge increase in damage for basically free. The loss of these potions usually is offset by the benefits, since the higher dmg allows you both easier leveling and better bossfighting if used right.
If used right, its just plain broken.
Naoya

Postby The Avatar on Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:58 pm

If you choose health potions and then turn them into reflex+quicksilver, which you use to power level it's even better.

The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons