q_3's Vicious Purist Playthroughs

All things Desktop Dungeons

q_3's Vicious Purist Playthroughs

Postby q 3 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:54 am

Vicious Purist Playthrough #1: Namtar's Lair beaten by an Orc Rogue. Submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society, I call this "The Tale of the Evil Sorcerer Who Went Down Like a Chump."

I promise not to use the Rogue too often in future entries. Other classes can beat vicious, too! ;) I'm actually planning on Dragon Isles with an Assassin next, but I'm happy to take suggestions (and comments and/or criticism, of course).

EDIT: Here's the playlist with every video in this series. Now almost as long as the Lord of the Rings trilogy! :D
Last edited by q 3 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
q 3

Re: q_3's Vicious Purist Playthroughs

Postby Lujo on Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:30 am

-.-

How about you use the rogue, but don't scum so hard that being purist loses all meaning?

Because restarting half a dozen times untill you practicly prep GG is only different from prepping him because you get a badge at the end, and he doesn't tax your lvl-up piety, which makes it EASIER than prepping him. (Well, at least you fess up in the end...)

And if you didn't badmouth the CYDSTEPP, but instead used it, you could've killed that first lvl3 warlock, recast it upon lvel up and then convert it, or even not convert it.
Last edited by Lujo on Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby FDru on Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:00 am

Lujo beat me to it.. but 12 minutes of scumming? Ermahgerd! And by not prepping GG, you get so much piety that all the extra conversion piety you get from not going Purist is meaningless.

I really like the concept though. Please do more with something other than GG!
FDru

Postby Lujo on Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:06 am

I don't mind him scumming so much, as creating the idea that it's "a nice trick" and "worth it" or "necessary". It bloody well isn't.

Also I would care less if he didn't use every opportunity to badmouth CYDSTEPP as a useless gylph, and then arsed up something he could've done quite easily if he just used it. -.-
Lujo

Postby Naoya on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:25 pm

Cydstepp is still awesome. It's just not broken as it was before - but its still powerfull. Even without being a Warlord, you still can use it to take down Enemys you otherwise couldn't - especially with a Rogue.
Naoya

Postby Lujo on Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:42 pm

Yeah, while I love the fact you're making videos, and seeing someone else play (and your technique is good enough to get you places without scumming), the whole CYDSTEPP dissing made it sound like "It doesn't win me game on it's own" = "Not worth the effort" and that just comes across as terribly spoiled to anyone who's been using it all the time since the nerf. Especially since it would've been helpfull right there and then, except you obviously didn't notice.

Not to mention that you rerolled a bunch of perfectly fine openings others would've rolled with looking for the one that is obviously outrageous. It doesn't look like you're scumming for a good reason, it looks like you're scumming for completely unnecessary cheeze. Heck, the only reason altar preps were implemented is so we don't have to scum for gods when we want to try stuff out...

Anywho, I hope you do a legit one sometimes - you deffinitely have the skills for it.
Lujo

Postby q 3 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:28 pm

Heh. Thanks for the feedback. The way I see it is, yeah, 12 minutes of scumming seems kind of silly - but my winning run took 36 minutes. (Both times are a lot longer than they would otherwise be since I go slower whilst commenting.) Sure, I could treat each run as a serious attempt to win and play it all the way through (or until I fail), but that would actually take up more time; just two serious attempts would have taken an hour or more. Scumming reduces the (significant) risk that bad luck in terms of the dungeon layout - rather than one's own mistakes - will lead to a loss. (Also something something about how sausage is made.)

And sorry if I offended anyone with my CYDSTEPP comments. It's certainly still useful - I got good use out of it! It's just more of a novelty now than something you can work into a long-term strategy.
q 3

Postby Darvin on Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:34 pm

If you want to do purist vicious with minimal scumming, Gnome Warlord is the way to go. Warlords are more reliable than Rogues (who need to scum for something to combo off of for their first few hits), and the Gnome gives you go a good mana-spiking approach for physical-resist enemies while still being a solid Warlord choice in general. The only vicious dungeon he's not so hot on is VHoS.
Darvin

Postby ChasGB on Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:05 pm

Thanks for the video (scumming and all!), it really helps "fill in the blanks" technique wise on some things that don't come across in the screenshot playthroughs. I've been hoping somebody would make videos!
ChasGB

Postby Lujo on Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:22 pm

I'm really shocked that you guys actually have this cavalier attitude towards scumming. Not ChasGB, obviously, but you vets. What's the deal with that? Don't you understand that your technique is allready giving you so much of an advantage over the intended power curve that you don't need to scum?

(Oh, and if you want to do anything purist, just take a gnome bloodmage and pay minimal attention. It'll take you more effort to chase badges than beating dungeons dacfrsure)
Lujo

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons