[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Hard dungeons that I find to be exceedigly difficult

Hard dungeons that I find to be exceedigly difficult

All things Desktop Dungeons

Hard dungeons that I find to be exceedigly difficult

Postby FDru on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:32 am

The Labyrinth - finding Rex early is a death sentence so exploration is tricky. Good leveling opportunities are rare since high level enemies are usually along the outer walls (I frequently reach end-game with no popcorn because that stuff needs to be killed early just to level). Often the map creates one long hallway that gives you a (in most cases) 50/50 chance per kill of getting stuck in it once Rex is following. Getting stuck between Rex and a high level mob is usually a game over due to death or critical resource loss. Rex basically becomes Bleaty at half hp; will one-shot kill anything but extreme HP / resist builds.

Shifting Passages - a bit of the same problem as The Labyrinth, only with a much more lenient early game. Frequent losses due to inability to chase the boss through the thin corridors late-game. This can either be easy (strong low-level character starting the boss fight with only a few kills) or extremely hard (many high level enemies remaining with most of the map cleared).

Cursed Oasis - may be more forgiving since the last update, but was probably my most hated dungeon before that. I cannot say what is most aggravating about this dungeon.. the difficult mobs (animated armors, thralls and shades), the excessive curses or annoying bosses. Probably tied with Shifting Passages as the Hard dungeon I'd least like to play currently.

Looking for: Nerfs and/or sympathy and/or strategies to consistently beat any of the above with any class (I try to take in a class I have not completed the dungeon with when one comes up as the burning dungeon).
FDru

Re: Hard dungeons that I find to be exceedigly difficult

Postby Lujo on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:33 am

Labyrinth suffers from the same problems as any cramped map: you take binlor in and play like a fool - you have no problems. You try most other things - no dice. Except Binlor's prep penalty actually makes it harder because you can't really slam stuff into walls as well as without it, and I frequntly reach the endgame with the outer ring of the labyrinth intact, let alone monsters.

Shifting passages are the second most difficult HARD dungeon, and walking in there without heavy preps hasn't really worked all that well for me.

I don't scum, either.

CO - could probably lose the animated armors. If there's a trick to it I can't tell - I beat it by managing my curses and being really careful about my kill order, or abusing any "exploit of the week" but that's basicaly all...
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby paplaukes on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:58 am

Bear mace can help, more glyphs prep (better chance at finding pisorf/endiswal or at least weytwut) can help.
I find Shifting passages is easier of the two wall dungeons. It lets you explore early, and grab the goodies + glyphs/binlor if available. If not, you still get to pick and choose what level mobs to fight and what to skip til later, leveling up faster and leaving some popcorn behind.

Cursed Oasis - what's the more forgiving bit? Subdungeons? I got it as burning dungeon now but I'm postponing the inevitable :) Easiest mobs to level on seem to be bandits (can't get cursed much). Or shades if you got a knockback/slow.
paplaukes

Postby FDru on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:08 pm

FDru

Postby FDru on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:48 pm

K so GG is overpowered or something.

I just did a Purist Orc Transmuter run in Shifting Passages... the best part being that when I spawned inside the dungeon I spammed LEMMISI until the entire map was revealed. The only subdungeon was a "Exploding Signposts" so I got one compression scroll to use on the fireball glyph. I used all of my gold to buy various items to convert. I had 6 HPs when I got my first kill against a level 4 using GETINDARE. All level 1 and 2 mobs were absolved.

21 prayer beads when I used Enlightenment

2 Schadenfreude potions and one protection boon to kill Aequitas at level 6

1 dodge against the boss, and he took 4 hits to kill

Yays?

(not technically purist, but the only prep used was Binlor and I didn't even use the altar)
FDru

Postby Lujo on Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:44 pm

Yep, Absolution would still be good if it wasn't this good, we got video proof of that :D

EDIT: Tbh, the list of things I complained about or thought needed any more fiddling with is really not all that long, and I never mentioned GG/absolution stuff because I thought that if all the other stuff got what's coming to it, it would become so obvious that it'd get toned down and then just about everything would be where it looks like it's supposed to be, from the player side. There are only a handfull of silly features left, which is great!

And also, the ammount of times I had to explore the entire map on Shifting Passages is a bit worrying, maybe.
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:28 pm

Darvin

Postby Lujo on Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:11 pm

Lujo

Postby Darvin on Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:27 pm

Darvin

Postby paplaukes on Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:40 pm

WEYTWUT alone doesn't help. Recent Labyrinth run I had was a single line through half a dungeon, mobs every 3-4 spaces. 1 subdungeon, 0 altars. Eventually you just run out of space to regen and the boss arrives. It's like getting screwed by blocked entrances in Grimm's grotto, only by design :)
paplaukes

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons