[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Extra pixels

Extra pixels

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Extra pixels

Postby Lujo on Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:24 pm

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Blovski on Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:15 pm

Having initially been pretty down on the new poison changes, now I've fiddled around with it I think it's waay better than the old system. Less fiddling, you can stick poison on a few targets at once, the assassin is a stronger physical and weaker magical option, which is great, and Venom Dagger might be tolerable now.

TT poison really needs to be a bit stronger on the first hit, even if it's just a few piety more (2/level for 20/25 or so), since TT users can't really get the repeat hits in like other characters.
Blovski

Postby Darvin on Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:39 pm

Darvin

Postby Blovski on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:34 pm

Blovski

Postby The Avatar on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:14 pm

I don't know. Unless you have resists or the monsters are weak it's pretty lame. Totally agree with front-loading poison and making it circumvent MR.

For mystic balance I say make the balance point 4.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:34 pm

Darvin

Postby Blovski on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:07 am

1. Yep
2. Burning + Poison is doable with Whurgarbl as well. At level 1, vs. a level 2, Apheelsik prevents 5 tiles of regen, 1 stack of burning doubles the number of tiles for which a level 2 doesn't regen (so even with only 10 mana, you get 9 tiles of no regen). At level 1, vs. a level 3, Apheelsik prevents 3 tiles of regen, and 1 stack of burning increases by 50% the number of tiles for which a level 3 doesn't regen (so with 10 mana, you get 4 tiles, with 11 you get 5).

So, fighting a level 2 with Afeelsik + Burndayraz costs 11 mana, prevents 9 tiles of regen and deals an extra 5 damage (4+1 burning), fighting a level 2 with 2 Afeelsiks costs 10 mana, prevents 10 tiles of regen and deals no extra damage.
I.e. fighting a level with 3 Afeelsik + Burndayraz costs 11 mana, prevents 4 or 5 tiles of regen (depending on your mana level), whereas fighting a level 3 with 2 Afeelsiks costs 10 mana and prevents 6 tiles of regen.
At this level throwing in whurgarbl becomes an interesting proposition.

Sooo... the difference between poison-poison and poison-fireball is 1-2 tiles of regen against enemies 1-2 levels above you at level 1 but you get an extra 5 points of damage for that. Given you should probably melee when you fire the first afeelsik, the extra tile for burndayraz isn't wasted health regen. If you're going for a bigger springboard you'll need to be prepped for it.

3. Yeah, bloody sigil's better at low levels. Still, Venom Dagger's a thing I might pick up now having previously been a never-touch-item.

4. You can get out of TT, but if you're going TT, consensus for 2 layers (10 piety left, 20 gold), and then spend 60 gold to get out, that's a big opportunity cost. Alternatively, if you're going TT, desecrate (I guess Earthmother's the only good choice as a res-stacker), one layer, spend 15 gold to get a second, then you need to gather another 50 piety to get out. TT's not an easy god to dip in and out of early game, especially if you're reliant on regen fighting and especially if he's prepped... (monks aren't good at popcorn, but I guess it depends how early you envision pulling this off - if you just want to get it in place for later levels then it could work)

I mean, if you're in Naga City or Vicious G-T, then do what you like, but in a normal map I can't see it being a reliable strategy in most circumstances. You could piety farm ->100, jump to TT, then desecrate out but by that point you're really warping your playstyle and using up a load of tiles just to get it working.

5, 6. Yup.

---

@Avatar:
I'm not really sure what front-loading poison achieves apart from making the assassin's early game more like the old assassin's early game? And sticking 40 poison on a target for 10 mana at level 1, say, would give you 13-4 tiles of regen against a level 3, 10 against a level 4, which seems a bit disproportionate given the assassin is already doing fine at level 1 to 2...
Blovski

Postby Lujo on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:00 pm

Allright, a "no whining" "heroic failure" run rendering atm. I taped the play and the commentary simmultaneously, it's a wizard spotlight and it might be a lot friendlier to the audience than the 3 previous ones - I make mistakes, they end up costing me, and so on and so forth. It's gonna be rendering for a while, and it's probably gonna take ages to upload, but what can you do ^^
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:26 pm

Darvin

Postby Lujo on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:11 pm

http://youtu.be/8jztKCxKYhc - Wizard should be there in a few hours - if I'm lucky and the connection doesn't break :(

Strange thing is - I did a sucessfull purist Wizard, then I taped an unsucessfull purist Wizard, then I did a sucesfull purist Thief. The Thief found a Trisword, and used 2 sets of TT potions on Namtar (and joined TT at lvl 2 and spent most of the run there). I think a non-GG rogue could also do it.

Strangest run in a while... I think I really ought to do a lvl2 TT any VICIOUS any class spotlight somewhere...
Lujo

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons