[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Hard dungeons that I find to be exceedigly difficult

Hard dungeons that I find to be exceedigly difficult

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Hard dungeons that I find to be exceedigly difficult

Postby Darvin on Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:56 pm

Darvin

Postby Sidestepper on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:19 pm

Yeah, I've complained about Labyrinth before. The mapping algorithm basically creates one long snake with a few minor branching dead ends. Your spawn point clears out a large area in the center and the idea seems to be that this central confluence will give you a choice about how to explore. The problem is that sometimes the spawn area only clears out a self-contained loop and you end up with 75% of the dungeon being just a long hallway. Rex isn't even the problem anymore. You lose the game the first time two strong monsters appear without enough space in between them.

I feel that Purist runs in this dungeon are too luck dependent. I'd like it if some of the monsters dropped those goblin mining bombs.
Last edited by Sidestepper on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sidestepper

Postby Lujo on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:24 pm

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby paplaukes on Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:51 pm

Darvin, Sidestepper pretty much summed it up. If it's snake layout, then I'm certain WEYTWUT alone isn't enough - I did try today as pqi sent me in as purist halfling wizard. Found the glyph on start. You just don't get enough mana to keep shoving them out of the way. And if you just kill - say hi to Rex.
paplaukes

Postby The Avatar on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:09 pm

Totally agree on the goblin mining bombs. What an awesome concept. It's a shame they don't give stoneskin (right?) because then they would be really good. Still, the point is they're underused, cool, and useful but not OP.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby FDru on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:54 am

FDru

Postby Sidestepper on Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:15 am

I also put Slime Pits below Cursed Oasis. I used to really fear that palce, but ater PQI kept dragging me towards it, I found that it isn't so bad. My impressions were mostly from the old version, where the monsters were tougher and weakening and corrosion were incurable. There's this really neat strategy I found using a DR stacking Wizard that lets you easily melee Super Meat Man down. This was before the Platemail nerf, but also before Wizards gained the burning bonus and lost the melee penalty, so it might still work.
Sidestepper

Postby Darvin on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:38 am

Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:15 pm

Still, Cursed Oasis I rate as the hardest hard dungeon. That's probably due to lack of experience, because I'm pretty sure VHoS is supposed to be giving me a harder time.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Sidestepper on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:55 pm

I think that part of it is that Cursed Oasis was created late in the development process and so the devs had a firmer grasp of what kind of strategies we've been relying on. The monster roster badly interferes with resistance stacking and regeneration tactics.
Sidestepper

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons