[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - q_3's Vicious Purist Playthroughs

q_3's Vicious Purist Playthroughs

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: q_3's Vicious Purist Playthroughs

Postby gjaustin on Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:26 pm

I pretty much never scum.

The closest I'll get is bailing on a run if I end up getting a bad configuration of monsters that forces me to explore way too much of the dungeon at the early levels.
gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:35 pm

Darvin

Postby Lujo on Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:36 pm

Yeah, I'll bail when things go really downhill and stuff (and my definition of downhill would probably have restart fan pulling his hairs out of his head 20 minutes before I give up), but why in the world would you want to scum for stuff you can just prep?

I mean, you can't "scumm" a purist badge up - you can, but anyone at all can look at your run, point a finger and say: "Dude, you couldn't've PREPPED for that shit if you wanted".

Case in point, my latest vid - hell, i got purist for a run where I simply found BURNDYRAZ right next to the entrance along with 2 mana boosters and zombie gold. I could've easily won faithless, and from the run that's pretty obvious, but I didn't get that badge, while I got purist which didn't really mean anything.

I mean, I'd rather see a heroic fail that took an hour with that techniqe of q_3's than a "purist" run with that attitude... It's false advertizing...
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:54 pm

You can't prep GG at full power. You can't prep an early ENDISWAL find. You can't prep the Trisword/Alchemist Scroll combo. You can't prep the zombie money subdungeon. You can't prep a specific boss on a random dungeon. Scumming isn't something I do regularly, but when I do it's for something that you can't get from preps.
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:02 pm

Lujo

Postby Sidestepper on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:10 pm

Hee hee, I just posted a Dorkling run through without even having seen this discussion. The reason you scum for weird combos is because weird combos are fun. If I had my way, there wold be some sort of sandbox mode that you could unlock so that you could have fun experimenting with all sorts of once-in-a-lifetime set ups.
Sidestepper

Postby Lujo on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:13 pm

Lujo

Postby Darvin on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:20 pm

Darvin

Postby Lujo on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:23 pm

Lujo