Sidestepper's Newbie-Friendly Annotated Playthroughs

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Sidestepper's Newbie-Friendly Annotated Playthroughs

Postby Sidestepper on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:05 pm

The playthrough that nobody wanted, but that you got anyway: Rise of the Dorkling

http://www.qcfdesign.com/wiki/DesktopDungeons/index.php?title=Annotated_Playthrough:_Rise_of_the_Dorkling
Sidestepper

Postby Darvin on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:14 pm

For a dedicated Dorkling run, I recommend a Thief. Besides the obvious synergy between Halfling potions and the Survivor trait, the Thief also provides extra gold to keep the combo going and extra shops so that you have to scum less to get the combo in the first place.

I recommend the Rogue, due to his natural synergy with both the Trisword and Alchemist Scroll (one amplifies his natural advantage, the other cancels his natural disadvantage). Use the black market prep to fuel the gold cost.

Plus if you're going to go for grotesque overkill, you may as well go for something that can be classified as a war crime.

It's no fun using a howitzer to hunt rabbits.

Depends on how many rabbits we're talking about :twisted:
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:17 pm

Sidestepper wrote:The playthrough that nobody wanted, but that you got anyway: Rise of the Dorkling

http://www.qcfdesign.com/wiki/DesktopDungeons/index.php?title=Annotated_Playthrough:_Rise_of_the_Dorkling

Oh, oh! Do mention that you can really make it work with tinkers! I feel like I've done it a million times without planning (origin of the profile picture in case anyone ever wondered).
Lujo

Postby Sidestepper on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:22 pm

Yeah, the Rogue is great, but I'm bored of Rogues after one too many GG Rogue games.

I forgot about the Tinker. Come to think of it, I think it was a Tinker of mine that first accidentally discovered the Dorkling.
Sidestepper

Postby Darvin on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:24 pm

Lujo wrote:Oh, oh! Do mention that you can really make it work with tinkers! I feel like I've done it a million times without planning (origin of the profile picture in case anyone ever wondered).

Tinkers definitely make the best "natural" Dorklings, and the class is by far the most likely to encounter this combo in natural play (Trisword Halfling is a common prep/race combo, and elite items is a common shop prep, so your default load-out basically maximizes your odds). They'll never be as powerful as the "ideal" Rogue, but they're still well beyond the threshold of obscenity.

Yeah, the Rogue is great, but I'm bored of Rogues after one too many GG Rogue games.

How can you get bored of such an adorable killing machine?
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:30 pm

Sidestepper wrote:Yeah, the Rogue is great, but I'm bored of Rogues after one too many GG Rogue games.

Is that so? :lol:

Sidestepper wrote:I forgot about the Tinker. Come to think of it, I think it was a Tinker of mine that first accidentally discovered the Dorkling.

Exactly :lol: I think I found both things in the shops on a Gaan'Telet run... Did that ever turn out bad for the goat :D
Lujo

Postby Bloggorus on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:53 am

Bloggorus

Postby Lujo on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:05 pm

How about "Trisword?" While this is incredibly awesome, I think Rogue with Trisword and without GG can still beat stuff at lvl 1, even if GETINDARE has been fixed.

See playthrough notes about that it's kind of hilarious ^^
Lujo

Postby Sidestepper on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:51 pm

Bloggorus wrote:There are no words to describe this.

The word you are looking for is SMASH
Sidestepper

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons