[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Weee, first Vicious Win!

Weee, first Vicious Win!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Weee, first Vicious Win!

Postby The Avatar on Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:24 am

Even so, those penalties are faily easily gotten around, hence his unfairness.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby berpdreyfuss on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:21 pm

Inspired by this post, I tried vicious Halls of Steel and beat it (Though it really was a close call in the end)! My first vicious win, I did it with a berserker halfling with a trisword. Now off to the other vicious dungeons...

I understand that Halls of Steel is the least vicious of the vicious, what would be the next in terms of difficulty?
berpdreyfuss

Postby Darvin on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:33 am

Darvin

Postby Naoya on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:39 am

Congrats on beating it ! :mrgreen:
Kind of funny for me to reply on my own thread, seeing as its not too long ago that I started it. Glad it inspired you btw :D

Personally, I'd suggest Dragon Isles. Dragon Isles can be beaten like VHOS quite easily with a Berserker - and is otherwise also fairly manageable IMO . It also gives you the awesome Dragon Shield, a pretty good item .

Naga City I found to be a pretty... unique challenge. I personally find it to be the most fun Vicious out there, though I'm not sure if its actually easier than NL or DL.
Naoya

Postby Darvin on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:55 am

Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:53 am

Difficulty wise I'd say (hardest is 1):

1. Namtar
2. Kinisssch
3. Dragon Isles
4. The Avatar
5. VHoS

Still, Naga City is the most fun and provides a most... interesting... challenge.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby berpdreyfuss on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:03 am

Thanks for the replys!
This is a great forum, makes the game twice as good. I never thought I would have fun just by reading about a game and its development :)
berpdreyfuss

Postby Blovski on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:14 pm

I think I did Dragon Isles first... not sure which class I finished it with. I imagine it'd be Rogue or maybe Barb. I think my proudest one was my first Demonic Library win back when it was Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhard.

I've still not done Namtar or Vicious G-T.

@Avatar, I think Naga City is probably the easiest for me (unless you go in purist, at which point it's comparatively tough)... maybe it's a knowing the gods thing which makes it less obviously approachable but you have sooo many things you can do with the level below that more or less all of the challenges the bosses can throw out can be cheerfully stomped..

Edit: Yeah, do Dragon Isles next. The Dragon Shield is huge for resistance classes, it's a fun dungeon and not too rough.
Blovski

Postby Sidestepper on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:24 pm

The thing with VHoS is that it doesn't feel like the other purple dungeons. The other vicious dungeons involve complex scripted events, huge off map areas, and a very long stretch of post level ten content. It also tests your character in a very one-dimensional way. If you have magic resistance, you'll be fine. The other five vicious levels have multiple tests that challenge your character in very different ways.
Sidestepper

Postby Lujo on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:03 pm

It also makes the map asymetrical, doesn't really fit, is too easy with the right preps for any class at all (pisorff/knockback one guy into the other guy, huzzah!), and because of it the regular halls of steel are a bit jokey compared to the Labyrinth and the Shifting passages (but not Ick Swamp since Ick hands out damage boosters at every corner).

Also, it's "complete with 3 relevant classes" quest overlaps with the "complete with 4 to unlock VHoS" if I'm not much mistaken, and that quest is then asymetrical too.

Why is it still in there I have no clue, but having a HARD Halls with indomitable and Blah Blah at some difficulty in between the current hard and the current vicious, with potentialy easing up on the cramp a tiny bit would probably be better.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons