[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - I like when the game makes me feel smart..

I like when the game makes me feel smart..

All things Desktop Dungeons

I like when the game makes me feel smart..

Postby xspeedballx on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:52 pm

This is less bragging than it appears. More of an example of the exact situation when this game is at it's best.

I am doing Labyrinth with an Orc Rogue. I found endiswall like immediately and spent most of it being way over confident. I converted every single spell before finding the second boss. It's a wraith. I look at remaining resources and go "welp that's a wipe"(to use MMO vernacular). I decide to push it anyway. I blow a wad of potions on the wraith(whupaz, reflex, quicksilver). Still not enough. I had been avoiding deities because had determined them not useful. (I had GG, and JJ). It occured to me though that I may be able to get enough HP to take a hit from using GG and since I had already blown all my potions for trisword this wouldn't be terrible. I convert, gather hp by clearing popcorn(was not enough for a level up left anyway, I was playing terribly). Just eek over the hp threshold.. but.. now I need to heal. I have enough piety for a protection so I use that. Still need more hp.. I see a couple small unexplored spots and that puts me over the edge. Ok another hit in. But I need one more(so I can finish off with first strike). Despair is kicking in. But wait I left explorable tiles in a subdungeon.. and I have a transmute scroll.. that could get me enough gold to buy something to convert for more piety. Success. Wraith down. Rex is staring at me. Despair kicks in again. But wait! I have yet more resources. If the math works I might be able to pull it off! Up at a gallop I buy a mana pot! I use 2 last blocks of recovery. I blow one last endiswall.. and I still can't take a hit. Now this is where smart turns to luck but I still feel smart for trying. Lets go desecrate JJ for some piety. SUCCESS! Protection later I am punching the boss. One more hit. A shop has a hero's badge. And I can afford it! Hurrah, Rex is dead.

Ok so that was a long block of text with a whole ton of bad play during it and leading up to it. I was not monitoring resources well both in early game and apparently late game. However the sheer amount of things I could manipulate to get to my goal made me feel smart. Eeking out numbers at all corners. It's at these moments that the game is at it's best. It makes me want to do that again, if a little tired from exertion of my brain. I am not sure if the game needs more ways to create these situations or if they exist enough to be ok(the hard part is recognizing them and being persistent enough to see them through). Any way, that was my cool story bro. ;)
xspeedballx

Re: I like when the game makes me feel smart..

Postby Lujo on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:09 pm

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby paplaukes on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:32 pm

paplaukes

Postby Darvin on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:53 pm

Darvin

Postby xspeedballx on Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:01 pm

1) Oh I KNOW I should have a damaging spell. But I was feeling overconfident. Honestly I also should have been a halfling not and orc(prepped trisword). There was a lot wrong with my play :) To be fair though by and large I find ENDISWALL to serve a lot of the purpose of a damaging spell for softening up, sometimes better depending on the situation.(Physical resist mobs being the exception.. circle back to overconfident and dumb).

2) Deities I struggle with. I never use JJ. I did find him late, but I had found GG early. However I was tri-swording and historically *I* screw myself trying to grab GG while tri-swording so I ignored him. WEYTWUT generally gets ignored for me as a rogue, unless I am in a maze level without a wall destroying function. I am sure there is deeper thought I will get into on that later.

3) Honestly I forget about cleansing a lot. I really need to stop doing that. That absolutely would have improved the situation if I remembered it existing.

What's interesting as sort of referenced in my post I come from a lot of MMO playing, and most raid encounters are designed with a humungous amount of leeway and room for mistakes. When you first start winning you are minimizing mistakes to the point of just going over the hump. However after a few weeks after you are down to a bare minimum of mistakes you realize how "easy" that fight always was. This game has a similar effect. There are tons of resources, LOTS of things you can do. The run was ideal for a ridiculously easy run for a lot of reasons that I ignored or messed up. However, I manage to eek out a win pulling together what I could find anyway. The game makes you feel smart like that.. (I get the same feeling organizing my raid groups to killing a tough boss by managing every tiny resource I can find.)
xspeedballx

Postby paplaukes on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:40 pm

I'll bite. Which MMO is it? :)
paplaukes

Postby xspeedballx on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:05 pm

World of Warcraft though that is not likely surprising.
xspeedballx

Postby Sidestepper on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:54 am

Sidestepper

Postby The Avatar on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:00 am

The worst curveball I've had was when my monk in VGT got to Horratio's floor with no popcorn... and was given 3 curses. Managed to pull it off with EM. One of the happiest DD moments ever.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Return to Desktop Dungeons