Spiked Spikes and Slashy Swords

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Spiked Spikes and Slashy Swords

Postby Sidestepper on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:25 pm

I think a health cap is a bad idea. All that does is more narrowly focus play on things like dodge and death protection. It also creates a situation where the Rogue cannot win many (most?) maps without preps. His max natural health is 50. That is not enough to even tank a hit from Super Meat Man. I don't think that the design intent was to create a melee focused class that must always opt for extreme pure fireball strategies to win.
Sidestepper

Postby paplaukes on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:19 pm

I too don't like where this is going. Yes Rogues are strong when used by pros, but isn't that how people come to learn the game better anyway? "Woah this Rogue could kill some higher level mobs early if not for the HP, I wonder if there are ways to offset that" - and they go looking. But don't ever forget there are also plenty of moments where one realises their lvl 8 or even 9 character can still be oneshot by some boss.

Re: quests of 3/4 classes - I don't even choose Rogue all that often for them. Prefer tinkers :) cheesy fun.
paplaukes

Postby The Avatar on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:18 am

I just did a quick video run on Thief SIlver. People have said it's tough, so I figured why not. It was also just to see how difficult it would be to make a video. Here's a link, comment are most appreciated:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulOyMgGm2HQ

Also, I'm pretty sure they nerfed it. Didn't the boss originally have about 735 hp?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Bloggorus on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:44 am

Not tough, just screwy because the rules aren't explained. You pretty much have to reveal the whole map before you figure out how it works.
Bloggorus

Postby Sidestepper on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:57 am

Many of the challenges are still a mystery to me, so it was great to see you methodically pull this one apart. What program did you use? It might be fun to do a video about my punchomancer or the acid caster.
Sidestepper

Postby Lujo on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:16 am

Woohoo! You're finaly doing vids!
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby xspeedballx on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:44 am

That's a good video. However I am confused, do people really find this one of the harder ones? I found this to be one of those silvers that I described as "one attempt to find the trick" "one attempt to execute it".
xspeedballx

Postby Lujo on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:02 pm

Too many chests - that was what was confusing me. That is, if I know ENDISWAL was really enough, it wouldn't be so difficult...
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:20 pm

Yes, people find it one of the harder silvers. Frankly, if you understand it it gets easy (although it used to be really hard).

EDIT: To make my video I used QuickTime Player to do a screen recording. Then I watched while using QuickTime Player to do an audio recording. Finally I used shared the screen recording with iMovie and the audio recording to iTunes. From there you can combine the to in iMovie and share it to YouTube. Just make sure your video is a bit smaller than the YouTube screen. iMovie likes to randomly zoom in on whatever you've captured.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Sidestepper on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:48 pm

Wow. Your commentary felt very natural. I didn't realize it was post-production.
Sidestepper

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons