[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Should I care about veto slots?

Should I care about veto slots?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Should I care about veto slots?

Postby FDru on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:50 pm

I'm tempted to just keep pumping gold into vault upgrades (and eventually, that third locker slot) rather than even bother with buying a veto slot. I have no gold challenges completed... and not terribly interested in working on those anymore since they are "too damned hard".

So, basically, is there any very compelling reason to unlock veto slots?
FDru

Re: Should I care about veto slots?

Postby Bloggorus on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:34 pm

Nope, I don't use them.

22 characters?
Bloggorus

Postby paplaukes on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:45 pm

Perhaps if you really, really hate spoons :) or never use some silver challenge reward.
paplaukes

Postby Lujo on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:03 am

I think they were implemented so that if someone wants to simulate a "minimal unlocks" gameplay, he can do it on a regular profile. Just like god preps were done to prevent the need for scumming.

I generaly don't have much use for them - I'm not even all that happy about keeping the spoon in there. Not having niche stuff in the shop pool prevents you from finding cool interactions and just about any item can come handy at some point.

If they were more easily available (I'm currently grinding my fifth after havign done all the gold challenges), you could "weaponize" an item tier - veto enough basic/quest/elite stuff to limit the ammount of stuff that can show up. Unfortunately this also limits your options, but if you want "optimal" or rather "cheezy" runs, or just try out a particular strategy dependably (in, say, VICIOUS Gaan'Telet) theyre nice to have.

I used to keep Spoon, +10 HP pendant, +2 Mana Pendant and the balanced dagger in there. I took the mana pendandant out and put Hero's Helm in there, since the helm costs a bit too much for my taste, and I've taken the dagger out for testing and stuck a rock heart in there which I'm not too hapy about and might replace it with the Battlemage Ring, which is good but possibly overpriced ATM.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby gjaustin on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:53 pm

gjaustin

Postby q 3 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:57 pm

I have the Balanced Dagger, Stone Sigil, Agnostic Collar, and Health Pendant vetoed because either I would almost always prefer to see other items, they cost too much for what use I would get out of them, or I just don't like them. But then I'm quite picky. (And since veto slots affect purist runs but locker slots don't, I may as well spend my gold on the former over the latter.)
q 3

Postby paplaukes on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:10 pm

I hope you tried the dagger after the change to +3xp. It's fun.
paplaukes

Postby Gavster on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:07 pm

Do veto slots affect class challenges?
Gavster

Postby The Avatar on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:38 am

What do you mean? If you mean that if it affects shops in class challenges then I believe the answer is yes.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:39 am

Since you can find the Philosopher stone (quest item) in the shops while doing class challenges, then the veto slots very likely affect them too. Not sure if the stone thing ws fixed, though.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Return to Desktop Dungeons